Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A major opportunity for importing bikes

I just got back from a trip to the UK.

There is a number of pre-1960 bikes on offer from all the major/minor dealers and tons of Private adds. One dealer I chatted up mentioned estates are clearing from a big back log and families are placing dozens of bikes on consignment.

Many deals to be had especially on unusual British marks.

And, the pound is nearing parity with the dollar, and continues to drop. It’s making for the best climate to snag bikes out of the uk in years if you have cash in hand.

Shipping is a cost, but not always nuts. You may actually pay more to ship from a port to your home than to transit it across the pond.

Happy hunting.

Dear Chuck, glad you enjoyed your trip. Yes, the latest Bonhams auction had a lot of collections and estate sales in there, with some bargains for those who knew what they were buying. And shipping in a shared container is a good idea. My last US purchase cost more to get from Baltimore to New York than it did to come across the Atlantic. Britain was one of the motorcycling-est countries a while back, so that means lots of bikes now for sale from aging riders. Fill your boots guys, and keep these bikes on the road!

Comment

Chuck,
      I noticed the same thing. I’m in the middle of bringing in a British built Ner-A-Car after looking for one in my price range in the USA for a while. With the stronger dollar and the number of available bikes over there I got it for thousands less then similar bikes here even with the shipping costs. Lining up shipping and customs was/is a hassle and don’t be in a hurry to get it though.
      Chuck

Comment

Chuck, Would you by chance have any links to any places / dealers, etc. that are selling bikes like you mention? Thanks in advance for any help you may be able to provide. ....Smitty

Comment

There's an on-line auction in Sweden that is progress as we speak.
          Have a look here www.sajab.se/mc-collection.
          I hope I've got this right but there's at least three Emblems in the catalogue and that's more than I've seen in one place.
          Peter Thomson, a.k.a. Tommo
          A.M.C.A. # 2777
          Palmerston North, New Zealand.

Comment

Originally posted by Tommo View Post
            There's an on-line auction in Sweden that is progress as we speak.
            Have a look here www.sajab.se/mc-collection.
            I hope I've got this right but there's at least three Emblems in the catalogue and that's more than I've seen in one place.

I counted 2 Emblems Tommo, but i might have missed one because of my eyes watering up~haha. The Evans//Clevelands//Yankee//Ace//Excelsiors & Reading Standard made up for the loss tho'. Huge parts stash also. Thank You for the link Tommo.

*M.A.D.*
            Last edited by JoJo357; 10-29-2022, 02:20 AM.

Comment

I would like to see what the 1924 ace sells for, at this moment $63,875.75 , ends November 2nd

Comment

For Emblem look at lots 30,43 and 198.
                198 is a motor only and perhaps I should have said 3 lots of Emblem bikes and bits but it is still more Emblem stuff that has ever appeared in one place in my time.
                Peter Thomson, a.k.a. Tommo
                A.M.C.A. # 2777
                Palmerston North, New Zealand.

Comment

While checking out the 4 cylinder Nimbus, i came across an interesting short film from 1948, involving a Nimbus Motorcycle, entitled...'They Caught The Ferry'.

https://youtu.be/xNZ-0SeYAjc>>>De nåede færgen (Carl Theodor Dreyer, 1948)

*M.A.D.*
                  Last edited by JoJo357; 10-29-2022, 02:14 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by HDSmitty View Post
                    Chuck, Would you by chance have any links to any places / dealers, etc. that are selling bikes like you mention? Thanks in advance for any help you may be able to provide. ....Smitty
                    Here’s just one example;
                    https://www.andybuysbikes.com/bikes.htm

There are a number of dealers and private listings in uk bike magazines like this one:
                    https://www.classicmotorcycle.co.uk

best deals are through marque clubs.

like all deals, don’t believe it if it’s too good and do your best to work with well rated customs expeditors, even if they aren’t the cheapest bid.

Comment

Thank you Chuck!

Comment

Working...
                      X