sheepskin seat cover

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• sheepskin seat cover

I've been thinking for some while about constructing a sheepskin (short cropped) seat cover for at least one of my bikes.

My primary reasoning is for protection, mostly from the sun, unexpected adverse weather, and overall protection from the elements.
    Another reason, is the seats are super expensive if ever scuffed or damaged by accident. Besides, on the right bike, a sheepskin seat cover can enhance the curb appeal. The seat cover could also look gawdy, as well. Of course, "beauty is in the eye of the beholder"... so they say.

I've seen only a handful of examples, the latest up at Dixon this past June. I've seen a few on fully restored bikes and some on bobbers.
    Also some on overdone, bling bikes. I do know this, however... Nobody makes 'em any longer, and I wonder why.

Did these seat covers simply fall out of favor ? I've seen several in old photos (where are you, Cotton?), but these days, you hardly ever see 'em, except on a GoldWing, a big Hiway cruiser or some other banana boat bike.

I'm soliciting comments here... are there pro's and con's that I'm missing ? I have a friend who tells me that his sheepskin cover is too hot, yet comfortable.
    Anyone have an opinion or comment to share. I would appreciate any and all. Thanks.

C2K

They never fell out of favor, C2K!

The demographic died off.

The point was never to protect the seat. It was to keep the blood in your butt.

Aside from quality real ones, medical supply imitations for bedsore prevention work well, and can wrap drinks in your saddlebags, too.

....Cotten
    Last edited by T. Cotten; 10-21-2022, 02:45 PM.
    AMCA #776
    Dumpster Diver's Motto: Seek,... and Ye Shall Find!

Comment

When they get wet, how long do they stay wet? I realize it will depend on humidity, sun, etc., but I always wondered if they stay wet for a long time?
      Bob Rice #6738

Comment

Originally posted by BigLakeBob View Post
        When they get wet, how long do they stay wet? I realize it will depend on humidity, sun, etc., but I always wondered if they stay wet for a long time?
        Great in hot weather & cold weather, but if it gets wet, they can take DAYS to dry. Make it easy to remove rather than sit in a puddle for the duration of the ride.
        Rich Inmate #7084

Comment

Notes on sheepskin seat covers, Folks:

Beware of cheap dyes.

Beware that every seat cover will become soiled, one way or another. (Shame if it doesn't.)

And last but not least,..
          The fake medical skins launder out!

....Cotten
          AMCA #776
          Dumpster Diver's Motto: Seek,... and Ye Shall Find!

Comment

Real shearling dries in hours. It’s when it gets backed with foam that it takes forever.

I buy 1/2 hides and cut them to fit. Roughly 50 bucks for two or three seats worth of shearling.

I have hides for several bikes and really enjoy them.

on the driftless run in September, many riders had shearling on their seats, including me.

Comment

Yes Chuckthebeatertruck, I do have shearling short knapp hides. The two hides I have should cover 4 seats total, if I decide to make that many covers. One main concern I have is would the underside of the hide chafe the leather surface on my leather seats. Although I take good care of my seats with Lexol, I wonder if the sliding or movement of the cover may cause abrasion to the mounted seat. I wouldn't worry so much if I put a cover on an old beater seat. Maybe, I'm overthinking this whole thing.

One of my hides has a beautiful tanned surface, the other looks almost raw, or unfinished. Neither appear to be dyed. I planned to make them easily removable with a draw string. My first thought was for UV protection from the sun. Oftentimes my bikes may be out in sun for hours (while I'm in the bar... just kidding).

Frichie68 and Big Lake Bob made comments about the cover getting wet. Not too much a threat out here in SoCal... we haven't had much rain for going on 28yrs. We REALLY need it. I was thinking, maybe if I make a few seatcovers I could possibly break the spell !!

Thanks everybody for the constructive comments.

C2K

Comment

Here is one I ran for a few years, I put some snaps on it and could take it on and off, I used cornmeal to clean it.
                You do not have permission to view this gallery.
                This gallery has 1 photos.
                John Underwood
                AMCA#14400
                Central Illinois

Comment

Working...
                X