Thanks Cotten! You saved me

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Thanks Cotten! You saved me

Thanks Tom! Was doing final assembly on my Pan, had a carb you did for me a few years back hanging on the motor and a voice in my head said "Leak Test"
    I really didn't want to.........but I did. I discovered a problem that would have plagued me for a long time!

Bought an NOS front head a few years ago on eBay.......I know. Looked new, beautiful actually, in an original Harley box.
    Had the heads worked and my motor was put together by a well know motor builder. Did the leak test and couldn't get the manifold to stop leaking on the front head side.
    Worked the problem for a couple of hours and was very frustrated! Then I thought to test the head itself and HOLY COW it was leaking profusely around the intake casting. WTF?
    Upon close inspection, see photos, it looks like an intake insert was put into this head. Not like an O ring insert in an earlier head. Like an insert in a head that had an o ring casting when it was made

The photo of the inside of the intake shows machining marks....
    The other photo shows a faint line where the insert meets the original head material and that is where it wasleaking.

Can this head be welded to seal it up?
    Anyone ever see this before?

Thanks again Cotten!! I know I would have been frustrated beyond words if this bike was all together and I was fighting a huge intake leak that was well hidden.

Good to see you at Davenport!

IMG_0748.jpegIMG_0749.jpeg

First, Eddie,..

I would cook it real good to see if Loctite or a goober came out, and then see if it un-screws.

TIG-ing it on the inside wouldn't be impossible, but a helluva skill feat, especially if the insert is thin.

Is there a casting tag that tells you what year it might have been?

....Cotten
    AMCA #776
    Dumpster Diver's Motto: Seek,... and Ye Shall Find!

Comment

What would be the best way to see if this will unscrew? I see tool marks on the insert, not sure what I have that would work without damage.
      Would you suggest heating it to see if it sweats goop out?
      I will disassemble today and post casting pics

Comment

The little rectangular tool marks are somehow familiar, Eddie...

I made internal collets for nipples, but it wasn't easy.

And heat would be the first diagnostic, not only to loosen a sealer, but to guess if it is threaded, or pressed.

It wouldn't be the first MOCO screw-up, if it is indeed factory work!

....Cotten
        AMCA #776
        Dumpster Diver's Motto: Seek,... and Ye Shall Find!

Comment

Working...
        X