Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• prize inflation through eBay

Hi,

Did you notice the prize inflation caused by eBay? Yesterday Nov. 7th an auction ended for a Schebler DLX 113 carburetor. This is the correct one for a Indian Four 1938 and hard to find but is the winning bid of 2,278.99 realistic? What will be the total value of the entire bike? $ 1M? This hobby is becomming strange.

Ralf from Munich, Germany

Two things to consider,1.) Somone wanted and more than likely needed that to finish a very nice MC,I remember finding an NOS speedo,amp gauge and switch for a 1938 Indian,I made an offer that was crazy because I had saved a bit the offer was taken the cashsent the person then sent the money back because he wanted to hold on to it a little longer,np! my point is if someone wants it bad enough someone will pay! Remember they dont make NOS any more! Point2.) Some people have MORE money than Brains!!!!and Im sorry to say you and I cannt do a dang about that! So focus on what you can control and still enjoy your hobby!

Comment

DLX 113's have inherent problems that have made them very scarce, and the machines that they fit have escalated in value disproportionately on their own.

This model is particularly prone to body casting distortion over time, as well as the usual potmetal maladies of corrosion and cracking.

Attached is a display of the typical distortion that can prevent a throttledisc from even being installed. Adding the cost of a borejob and oversize disc and venturi to the already expensive procedure of repairing eroded bowlnut threads, plus the expense of quality replacement parts can make an "overhaul" of one of these units exceed $600.

I have heard of 'cores' bringing as much as $1600, so if this particular unit was pristine, it might be worth what it brought.

And before any pirates reading this get brainfarts to alter numbers on a DLX 112 or other body,...
      the idle bleeds are not the same and you will just be destroying your own integrity.

...Cotten
      Attached Files

Comment

Thanks inlne4nut for your comment. It is really disappointing so see that the money rules the vintage bikes world as well.

I hope that we see at least another beautifully rebuilt Indian 4 on the road or at swap meets and that this bike doesn't disappear in a collection.

Comment

I hope you didnt read me wrong,I too believe its out of control,and yes I hope its on a fOUR AND WE ALL GET TO AT THE VERY LEAST DRULL over it!!!! Happy motoring and its nice to know some of us are still ridding and enjoying!!!

Comment

Yeah I was watching that! Makes me glad I got one when I did. I probably let my spare unit go too cheaply! Whenever I'm shocked at the end value of an auction I always look at the bid history. This will tell me if it's just two guys that have "auction fever" and are butting heads or it's a more general trend. In this case there were three people willing to pay $2000 or more for that carb. Four people were willing to pay $1500 or more it. So I don't think it was an anomaly ... Perry

Comment

I too have noticed some very high sales going on ebay as of late...Like anything inflation hits our hobby as well. NOS or OEM will rise substantially for those of us that stay that route, and that's a hard pill to swallow at times. I too ride my OEM parts bikes often and get all those people asking me why that doesn't shine? or why don't you.......Please only we understand our love of the sport. Keep Riding!

Comment

Go for it!

A friend of mine was bidding on that carb, for his '38. I loaned him$500.00 to help him get it. He didn't. Not all bikes are that expensive. Indian 4's are for the rich guys now. Period. The bad part is he has been getting this bike together over the years, and now he can't really afford to finish it. He has a '29 also, in pieces, and I suggested he sell it and just get one together. It is kind of odd how we all get to figuring if we want it, we should have it. I have 5 bikes right now, and I am trying to sell one. It has just gotten too expensive and all consuming. Maybe I ought to grow up? There are people that have the skills and or the money for some rare bikes, and the rest of us,.......... Oh well. How many of us have all of our bikes together and running? Get the picture? I plan like heck to have my '65 on the road next year, 98% original. Not perfect. But i'm gonna go out and kill a whole bunch of Ohio bugs! And it's paid for.

Comment

Never grow up "portageman" thats when they win. Guys like us just got to keep doing what where doing. If it take 3yrs to do a bike we like thats fine. If it takes 12yrs to get it the way we want, so what..? As long as in between we can enjoy riding a small piece of history the window dressing ain't that important.

I bought a 56pan four years ago that was setup as a bopper and from that day till now I'm still looking for O.E.M. parts to rebuild it back to its glory. But it still gets about 7k miles a year on it.

Buy the way. Now I'll be expecting alot less bugs on this side of the state next year.--Steve

Comment

Love that Ohio wisdom !! Fellow Buckeye....... Paps

Comment

Ohio- Rider.......that's the exact attitude that everyone should have.........get 'em running first and let all the details come together in time............

Comment

I'm with you Ohio boys....grew up in S.W. Ohio. We got all the bugs down here in GA though........

Comment

Working...
                        X