'tis the season

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 'tis the season

another auction for those that have some extra cash. steve mcqueen stuff, plus some motorcycles from various owners:

http://www.bonhams.com/cgi-bin/publi...&iSaleNo=14037

i think i can afford the toasters...

$2.9-Million Bonhams & Butterfields’ Motorbikes Auction Sets World Auction Records in Los Angeles

The Steve McQueen Collection Brings More Than $1-million Saturday

Admiration for the “King of Cool” fueled bidding on Saturday, November 11, 2006 as Bonhams & Butterfields offered and sold property from the widow of Steve McQueen at the Petersen Automotive Museum in Los Angeles -- bringing more than $1-million for vintage motorcycles, biking memorabilia, home furnishings and antique toys acquired by the actor and his wife Barbara. Motorbikes from various owners and Steve McQueen memorabilia from other collections brought as much as $1.9-million for a grand total of $2.9-million for the day.

Top lots of the Nov. 11 sale include:

From the Collection of Barbara McQueen:

$177,500 paid for a circa 1934 Indian Sport Scout, one of the maker’s most successful models in the 1930s and a favorite marque of Steve McQueen (lot # 176, est. $15/20,000)

$150,000 paid for Steve McQueen’s circa 1920 Indian Powerplus Daytona racing bike (lot # 177, est. $60/90,000)

$128,000 paid for a 1958 GMC 101-series pickup truck, part of his ten-car collection housed at a famous Beverly Hills hotel during his extended stays in Southern California, described by Barbara McQueen as “Steve’s baby” (Lot # 178, est. $40/60,000)

$70,200 paid for Steve McQueen’s pair of Persol sunglasses with blue tinted lenses, believed to be worn in the opening scenes of the Thomas Crown Affair (Lot # 62, est. $2/3,000)

From the Silverman Museum Racing Collection and various owners:

$276,500 paid -- WORLD AUCTION RECORD -- for a 1937 Crocker “Hemi-head” V-Twin motorcycle (lot # 438, est. $165/200,000)

$70,200 paid for the 1967 Rolls-Royce Silver Shadow two-door sedan from The Thomas Crown Affair (lot # 236A, est. $60/100,000)

$117,000 paid for a yellow Winton Flyer originally part of the Steve McQueen Collection and used in the film The Reivers (film also released as Yellow Winton Flyer), produced in 1969 by Steve McQueen and constructed by Von Dutch (lot # 261, est. $100/150,000)

$29,250 paid for the circa 2005 Triumph 865cc Bonneville Scrambler ridden by Tom Cruise in Mission Impossible III (lot #409, est. $14/18,000)

Comment

$276,500 for the Crocker eh? Once again my dreams are dashed Maybe I'll have to set my sites one day on getting a repro that they're building in Toronto.............

Comment

Originally posted by c.o.
        $276,500 for the Crocker eh? Once again my dreams are dashed Maybe I'll have to set my sites one day on getting a repro that they're building in Toronto.............
        C.O.

The repop may not be any cheaper

Comment

And the Beat goes on!!!CO someday I hope you get your Dreram MC and the Beat goes down! We all except the Very Rich loose!

Comment

Thanks Inline I could sit around and whine about all the cool bikes I can't afford, but what the hay that's what dreams are for. I think the repos are in the 50K range.........much cheaper than the real deal Or maybe I should set my sites on something a little easier like a Cyclone racer or a Pierce Four........

Comment

i feel your pain, c.o. i think i'm going to get a schwinn beach cruiser -- springer front end, fender light, and whitewall tires, of course

Comment

surfdude........now I think your on to something there.......cool.....yet you don't have to sell the farm to get it............

Comment

I wonder what percentage of that money realized on these bikes is due to Steve McQueen having owned it at one time.

Quite a lot I would imagine.....so now do you think that these new record prices will affect the asking prices of other similiar machines and their spare parts.

You know my old ironhead Sportster is looking more and more like an old Crocker...especially when i squint my eyes... Hrdly

Comment

Working...
                  X