Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Another Rip Off Of One Of Our Members - AMCA Disclaimer

Hello Folks:

Regrettably one of our members was ripped off after he purchased an antique motorcycle based on an ad on the AMCA Facebook page. I assume he got nothing for the money he transferred to the "seller." In the recent past another member had a similar experience being ripped off with a purchase sight unseen from the AMCA Magazine Trash to Treasures want ads. Some people out there just suck. At the time AMCA added a disclaimer to the magazine ad page and the AMCA Board is extending the use of the disclaimer to all our social media and the AMCA Community Forum. I am broadcasting the message here and will pin this as a post in our Forum Want Ads. I hope no one else gets messed over. Be careful out there.

Mike Love
    AMCA Forum Moderator

AMCA Disclaimer

Neither The Antique Motorcycle Club of America, Inc. (AMCA), nor The Antique Motorcycle Club of America Community Forum warrants or assumes any liability or responsibility for the quality, accuracy, completeness, legality, reliability, or usefulness of any information, product, or service represented within the magazine or on the AMCA’s website. The articles and advertisements are provided for informational purposes only. Potential purchasers of any goods or services that are advertised for sale are strongly encouraged, prior to making any purchase or sending any money, to conduct such investigation and to engage in such due diligence as they may consider necessary or appropriate in the circumstances. Articles published in The Antique Motorcycle Magazine reflect the views and opinions of their authors and not necessarily those of the AMCA, or any other person. The inclusion of a link in the AMCA’s website is for the convenienceˇof the user, and the AMCA is not responsible for the content or availability thereof nor does it warrant or guarantee any products, services, or information described therein.

So somebody actually paid (credit card?) to join & was issued an AMCA member number for the sole purpose of ripping somebody off?! Sick.

Never seen so many scammers, Facebook is full of them, check out MOST of the T-shirt peddlers.
    If you click on their name, their profile page is shown-usually with NO "friends" & the only photos showing are the T-shirts you won't receive after you give them access to your credit card. REPORT THEM (click on the 3 dots to the right of their name) but DON'T BLOCK them as that allows them to continue scamming but you won't be able to see their posts.
    Rich Inmate #7084

Comment

Originally posted by frichie68 View Post
      So somebody actually paid (credit card?) to join & was issued an AMCA member number for the sole purpose of ripping somebody off?! Sick.

Never seen so many scammers, Facebook is full of them, check out MOST of the T-shirt peddlers.
      If you click on their name, their profile page is shown-usually with NO "friends" & the only photos showing are the T-shirts you won't receive after you give them access to your credit card. REPORT THEM (click on the 3 dots to the right of their name) but DON'T BLOCK them as that allows them to continue scamming but you won't be able to see their posts.
      I quit the facebook page because you do not have to be a member to use it. Any jack-hole can be on there, and there are plenty!
      Robbie Knight Amca #2736

Comment

So...

Facebook friends can be enemies? My whole world is shaken, Folks.

Ever notice that even this forum's users (bottom of forum page "Whats going on") are 87.5% 'bots'?

(Statistical homage to Steven Wright. No, the other Steven Wright. No, not that one either.)

.....Cotten

Last edited by T. Cotten; 08-31-2022, 05:01 PM.
        AMCA #776
        Dumpster Diver's Motto: Seek,... and Ye Shall Find!

Comment

Originally posted by frichie68 View Post
          Yes frichie68 and our members here have seen through scam in our classifieds, reported them and we were able to avoid harm by tossing them. People do this because it must be lucrative to steal in this way. Thanks for your comments.

Mike Love

Comment

Originally posted by Rubone View Post

I quit the facebook page because you do not have to be a member to use it. Any jack-hole can be on there, and there are plenty!
            Yes, I don't know what the ratio is but the non members far exceed the members based on my experience moderating Facebook.

Mike Love

Comment

Originally posted by T. Cotten View Post
              So...

Facebook friends can be enemies? My whole world is shaken, Folks.

Ever notice that even this forum's users (bottom of forum page "Whats going on") are 87.5% 'bots'?

(Statistical homage to Steven Wright. No, the other Steven Wright. No, not that one either.)

.....Cotten

Okay which Steven Wright is right? 87.5% bots? What are they harvesting?

I see that some Steven Wright said “43.7 per cent of all statistics are made up on the spot.”

Tom I guess there is almost a 50% possibility that you made up that 87.% bots stat.

Mike Love
              Last edited by ihrescue; 09-01-2022, 04:30 AM. Reason: Added info found after post.

Comment

It’s all about scale and roi. Joining using a common name and generic P.O. Box for a handful of bucks to net 20k is a GREAT scam because it plays off our sense of false security about other members. The other person is long in the wind. I bet they did this with other clubs,too.

The fact is all sorts of scams that make you shake your head are out there. I had a situation earlier this year where the VIN on my lowest value bike was cloned and the fake bike sold. It took some hoop jumping to get that sorted and for the state to believe I still owned my bike. Did I mention I had copies of previous titles plus all my paperwork andthe state still told me I sold the bike? It took real work to find a person in the dmv who would actually help.

the scans are so numerous, the authorities catch almost no one. The thieves know this, the public is still shocked.

you don’t even want to know how poor the closure rate is on homicides. Let’s just say a LOT of people get away with actual murder. A good con knows they will walk almost every single time.

BTW, first rule of being a matchstick is to be obvious. No one expects the Spanish inquisition nor a rip off. If something catches your attention out of the blue. . .maybe you’re being played.

Comment

Thanks for the heads up Mike. These scammers do it because there seems to be a good supply victims. Buying sight unseen is a risk where one must be willing to lose their money regardless of what prefix, suffix or association a seller has with their name. I'd guess more often these purchases work out.....sometimes partially..... and sometimes not at all, but regardless a buyer can't be surprised in the latter if no effort made to validate.
                  Spend a little up front to eliminate risk, drive or fly and go see whatever it is you want to buy. Big tech social media is the downfall of society. I am one of the few holdouts despite everyone telling me how wonderful it is amongst the frequent barrage of darkness coming out of it.
                  Last edited by Skirted; 09-01-2022, 06:14 AM.
                  Jason Zerbini
                  Near Pittsburgh PA (Farm Country)
                  Allegheny Mountain Chapter http://amcaamc.com/

Comment

One way to weed out a scam is to do a reverse google image search on the pictures in the ad. Often you'll find another version of the picture in someone else's ad with a prior date.
                    AMCA #41287
                    1972 Sportster project
                    1971 Sprint SS350 project
                    1982 FXR - AMCA 98.5 point restoration
                    1979 FXS 1200 never done playing
                    1998 Dyna Convertible - 100% Original
                    96" Evo Softail self built chopper
                    2012 103" Road King "per diem"
                    plus 13 other bikes over the years...

Comment

Great comments Chuck. People have had their house sold right out from under them and have a heck of a time getting it back. Sometimes people own property that remains vacant and that someone else scams the title and moves in. Bad news.

Mike Love

Comment

Originally posted by Skirted View Post
                        ...These scammers do it because there seems to be a good supply victims. Buying sight unseen is a risk where one must be willing to lose their money regardless of what prefix, suffix or association a seller has with their name.... but regardless a buyer can't be surprised in the latter if no effort made to validate.
                        Spend a little up front to eliminate risk, drive or fly and go see whatever it is you want to buy. Big tech social media is the downfall of society. I am one of the few holdouts despite everyone telling me how wonderful it is amongst the frequent barrage of darkness coming out of it.
                        Yep, good comments, the official world of business and government is not much help as Chuck pointed out, in fact their total disregard for operational security is part of the reason some of this is so outrageously successful, even easy. My AMCA Chapter paid bill to the port-a-john company after our national meet, a crook stole the check out of the port-a-john company rural unprotected mail box, changed the amount and "pay to" by washing it and submitted to a scam bank account electronically. The bank covered our check because they use their insurance, but I am not even sure they contact law enforcement.

Mike Love

Comment

Working...
                        X