LabMetal

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• LabMetal

Anybody ever used this stuff, sucessfully? I tried it today on a little chipped spot (that I missed when I was getting all of the other spots TIG welded) on my Indian crankcase and it was a total fiasco. I gave up, scrambled around and used 3M green epoxy, which, of course, I will have to touch up with aluminum paint.

Hi Swall.
    I have heard of it but never used it, whats it suposed to do? and why did you not have any success with it?. I usually use some stuff called DEVCON for metal repairs that i can't weld, i have found it to be wonderful stuff, i get it sent to me from england where i used to live because i have not seen it over here.
    Cheers Roland.

Comment

lab metal is a body filler used for when you are going to powder coat

Comment

Roland, you should have no trouble finding Devcon here in the States. The company I work for has used it by the gallon for a certain process. A quick search on the internet should yeild results. It is great stuff for the right application but it does have it's limits. Another product that is very similar and easier to find is JB weld and JB Quick (hardens in 5 minutes).

Comment

Hi Eric
          Yes i know about JB weld, but i have not seen devcon in any stores. i will try the internet, stupid me i did not think about that. I used some devcon on the crank cases of my manxman after i had then alloy welded because they were porose in places and were leaking oil. The welding did not work they still let oil by so i use some devcon on them and it worked for a while but the last time i fired her up i noticed some oil seeping though again, i guess i am going to have to do it again.
          Cheer Roland.

Comment

Hello Roland,
            I use a Devcon Titanium putty, great stuff.
            Try www.grainger.com Item # 5E147
            From what I understand, it will also take the temperatures for powdercoating, I don't powdercoat
            so I can't give you first hand recommendation on that.
            Its a dark grey color, so if you use it to repair aluminum it will show.

Comment

pits

Hi ,I wonder if any of those products would work for filling in pits on cylinder head fins-cast iron???Johnny-Milw.

Comment

Hello Johnnyfire,
                I can't say for sure, but the tech sheet for the Devcon Titanium putty states that it has excellent temperature resistance to 350 degrees F. Here's the site...

http://www.devcon.com/devconfamilypr...m?familyid=124

Comment

Thanks Bob,I guess it wouldn't hurt to give it a try--I'll let you know. Johnny

Comment

Working...
                  X