• Show
Clear All

• Indian vs HD Advice Needed

So far this has been my progression

1. 1980 XLH
    2. 1976 FLH
    3. 1997 Buell M2 Cyclone
    4. 1937 W Custom Build

I'm trading in the Buell and selling the '37 to get a turn-key 2018-2022 2 up cruiser. I was ready to get a sub 1000 mile 2020 Heritage Softail when my research kept landing on all the M8 oiling/venting/wet sumping issues. I'm after a bike to ride, not work on, or modify, so now I'm wondering if the Indian Springfield of similar vintage would be a better fit for me. I visited the local dealer last year for a look but know virtually nothing about them except to avoid the models with the 3" rear suspension travel, so any guidance is welcome.

The local dealer has a nice looking '16 Chief Vintage Thunder w/3400 miles. Any reason to avoid?
    Last edited by Rex; 05-19-2022, 04:48 PM.

Me personally, I'd keep the 37 and make it reliable. I WILL NOT buy anything having to do with Polaris (Indians parent co) ever again.

Comment

I'm with Smitty on this one. I'd invest in the 37 and/or the 76 if you still have it. Nothing wrong with those other bikes but you'll be finding them on Craiglist, Marketplace or Cycle Trader for the next decade, not so the 37 or the 76, but that is just my opinion and Hey I like old bikes

Comment

'76 is long gone, '37 has received a total trans rebuild with the help of you guys here, and the engine is currently getting a major overhaul. I just retired this month and will also be retiring from the old motorcycle, old tractor, and hit and miss engine hobbies.

I need a recent reliable American made bike to ride with a passenger for 2 seasons at the most.

Comment

Polaris crapped on Polaris owners after they came out with Indian & mostly Polaris owners traded in on Indian.
          Then stopped supporting the Polaris bikes already sold.
          It was supposed to hit Harley but hit Polaris instead.
          Anybody that tells you what to buy will be on your crap list as soon as you have any issue with it.
          Buy what YOU like & leave this page to 35 years old or earlier.

Comment

Working...
          X