wauseon swap first time

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• wauseon swap first time

G,day , my son asked if i am interested in going to America , for a quick trip , only 10 days ... my answer was yes , never been to your country ,wish it was longer but thats all the time he could get off work . We will try to get to Wheels Through Time . He has a mate in Cincinnati Ohio where we will stay . I have heard that the Wauseon swap is bloody unreal , greatly looking forward to it , and meeting his friends too . He has been 3 or 4 times and loves the people and life style with the vintage bike and hotrod seen , i can not wait , looking forward to meeting new like minded people , cheers Rob

Wheels through Time AND the AMCA Wauseon meet are a MUST on your visit.
    Probably best to lodge in or around Asheville,NC for WTT Museum.
    LOTS to see and do in Asheville and the WTT is a less than an hour drive away.
    Lodging in Wauseon proper is harder. It’s a small town in the middle of Ohio corn country and the few hotels right by the fairgrounds where the meet is held have probably been booked since last year. If you can book anything in Wauseon proper, just look an exit or two in either direction on interstate 80.
    Get to the Wauseon meet Thursday.
    Stop by my spots (97 and 98) for a cold beer.
    Mark Masa
    Mark Masa
    www.linkcycles.com

Comment

Hi Rob,
      That is exciting! You can see a lot in 10 days with a little planning, a car, and gas money. Indeed Wauseon is considered the grandest of the swap meets by many and you won't be disappointed and never bored. In this world of expanding internet commerce, the old fashioned AMCA swap meets are a lasting example of freedom, where you can talk to people face to face, shake hands, strike up interesting conversations, learn, look at what you are buying, tax free, and cash is king with electronic money transfer being largely absent,... all this is a real blessing to the hobby and a very refreshing break from the daily grind. Bring comfortable walking shoes!
      Jason Zerbini
      Near Pittsburgh PA (Farm Country)
      Allegheny Mountain Chapter http://amcaamc.com/

Comment

Oh, that’s a good road trip.

I grew up in NE Ohio and took many a motorbike tour through West Virginia into Southern Virginia and North Carolina. Interstate 77 and the West Virginia turnpike are interesting. Holmes County, Ohio is real interesting. Running along the Ohio river from West Virginia to Cincinnati is terrific as well.

For Wauseon, look to Napoleon Ohio as a motel place. It’s one of the closest and rooms were available a couple weeks ago. . Also, consider camping. Wauseon is usually a RIOT after dark. Be prepared to have very sore feet and eyes. Last year, I rolled around on a little thumper putting 23 miles on just making a few loops to look for junk.

Comment

If you are in Cincinnati, you’ll run north through Dayton. If you have time, visit Wright Patterson Air Force Base. Their aircraft collection is just plain fun, pun intended.

Comment

We went to Wauseon last year (great time) and then made a side trip to the Auburn, Cord, Duesenberg museum in Auburn, Indiana. I believe Auburn is about two hours from Wauseon. The ACD museum is hands down the best car museum I have ever been to and well worth the trip. Hope you have a good time here in the U.S.
            Eric Smith
            AMCA #886

Comment

Originally posted by chuckthebeatertruck View Post
              If you are in Cincinnati, you’ll run north through Dayton. If you have time, visit Wright Patterson Air Force Base. Their aircraft collection is just plain fun, pun intended.
              Yes this is the greatest collection of historic airplanes, missiles and rockets I have ever seen, far surpassing either of the Smithsonian exhibits. But you'll need at least two full days to see it all!
              AMCA #41287
              1972 FX Boattail Night Train
              1972 Sportster project
              1971 Sprint SS350 project
              1982 FXR - AMCA 99.25 point restoration
              1979 FXS 1200 never done playing
              1998 Dyna Convertible - 100% Original
              96" Evo Softail self built chopper
              2012 103" Road King "per diem"
              plus 13 other bikes over the years...

Comment

thanks every body , and MMasa i will say g,day to you , a man needs a beer after a long walk , Skirted , chuckthebeatertruck , exeric and joe fxs fxr , cheers for the heads up , my sons mate said something about the air museum being amazing . i didnt think about the size of the swapmeet , good shoes a must...i will let my son know about the Auburn Cord museum ...as far as accommodation we are going to sleep in a van on site , i been known to sleep just about anywhere . I am looking for a late 50s chief or a late model VL 80 cubic nothing pretty ..but will be asking lots of question , not sure how to go about buying something like this ,cheers rob

Comment

Don't forget the home made ice cream at Wauseon. Chocolate syrup optional.
                  Dave

Comment

Yep, the auburn, cord, dusenberg museum is just west and south near Fort Wayne, Indiana. It’s about 90 miles by interstate which is boring. Cutting through Ohio, 75-80 more scenic miles. At that point you’re just north of Fremont Indiana, the birthplace and grave site of James Dean.

the acd museum just won a historic preservation grant for their main facility and may have sections closed this summer. Call to make sure if you want to go.

if you’re into cars, and like a scenic ride, consider taking a two and a half hour roll nw from wauseon to the Gilmore auto museum in Hickory Corners, Michigan, near Battle Creek. It’s a big museum on 20 some odd hectares. Many score of very lovely autos, including unusual American marques like Franklin, Hupmobile, and White. They host a relatively large motorcycle show with a presence by the wolverine chapter.

Also, Wauseon is semi famous for pork chop on a stick. I have been known to eat four or five a day, and I’m not very large. They’re that good. Then ice cream and flat track races. Cheap, good time.

Comment

Let's not forget the Friday night flat track racing right there on the grounds. Sorry there are no speedway class bikes but the board track and vintage classes are fun.

Tom (Rollo) Hardy
                      AMCA #12766

Comment

Originally posted by chuckthebeatertruck View Post
                        if you’re into cars, and like a scenic ride, consider taking a two and a half hour roll nw from wauseon to the Gilmore auto museum in Hickory Corners, Michigan, near Battle Creek.
                        Thanks for the tip about the Gilmore museum, Chuck. I've heard about it and will put it on the short list if I go to Wauseon this year.
                        Eric Smith
                        AMCA #886

Comment

the racing has me excited , never seen old bikes race before

Comment

I have only been able to attend this meet one time and nothing better than watching the vintage racing, eating a porkchop on a stick, plenty of BarBQue sauce and with a cold one.
                            #7558 Take me on and you take on the whole trailer park!

Comment

Knuck , i am counting down the days .. i like my food n beer n ice cream someone mentioned great after a hang over ...managed to get a few contacts already and will visit these fellas ..

Comment

Working...
                              X