what oil to use

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• what oil to use

i just bought a 68 electraglide and was wondering what oil to use dont want to spend 50$ on a case of harley oil any help is appreciated thank you

What's wrong with Harley Davidson oil ? I use it in all of my twins. Why cheap out now.

Comment

HMMMM, lets see........$50.00 for a case of oil now or $5000.00 for an engine rebuild later (and missing out on a summer of riding). Need I say more??

TR

Comment

valvoline 50 wt. racing oil

Comment

i use hd oil and all 5 of my bikes leak a qt a week .oil is cheap compared to a new motor

Comment

Hi
            That is 60 weight warm weather, and 50 weight when it is cool. If you don't have an oil cooler, and a valve, or thermostat, you should look into it. The Pans and Shovels really heat up the oil. I use the HD oil in my '65, and my '72. It works fine. I don't care what brand of oil I use, as long as it does the job.
            Mike

Comment

I'll second the 50wt Valvoline racing oil. I use it in all my old bikes that require straight 50. By the way, my 68 FLH generally runs cooler oil temps than my later model Evo softtail, in the same conditions. I'll use 60 in the sidevalves in real hot weather but never have in the shovelhead.

Comment

I use Castrol Straight 60wt 'Motorcycle' Racing Oil. They make motorcycle Racing grades in 30-60wts that I know of.

You should be able to get the Castrol Motorcycle Racing Oil at your Independent Harley shop and some foreign Dealers like a local Triumph Dealer.

Notice that I emphasized 'Motorcycle' as Castrol makes oils specifically for motorcycles. Most auto and chain stores only carry their auto multi-grades like 10w30 which I use in my trucks.

I used to use Valvaline 60Wt Racing oil years ago in my 68 Ironhead and Castrol oil in my Nortons. Not sure why I stopped using Valvoline. Maybe because I had the Castrol on hand for the Norton Cafe Racer which I ran (more like raced) very hard on the street so I was always changing the oil and playing with different grades.

Also, I like the idea that Castrol Oils are processed and packaged in New Jersey and they've been making motorcycle oils for more years then most.

Hrdly

Comment

In this part of the country it is over 100 degrees in the summer often, so my 66' shovel gets 60 wt. in winter it's 50 wt. have run Valvoline for years. I run 20-50 HD oil in the 2003 softail.

Anybody know who makes the HD oil ??????????

Comment

Oil

There's always one radical in the group. I've been using mobile 1 V twin 20-50 in my 78 shovel for the last couple yrs. Seems to always run cooler than my buds new evo and what better than a synthetic in the event it does get hot?

Comment

Working...
                    X