Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Sure is a lot of Harmony on the AMCA board.....................

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sure is a lot of Harmony on the AMCA board.....................

Was reading the minutes from the last board meeting, as I usually do and you should too. Almost every time I see a vote taken it is unanimous yes result. Not sure what to make of that, but it means something. Is it not OK to vote no, or is it that obvious to vote yes almost every time. Just wondering...........
    #7558 Take me on and you take on the whole trailer park!

Brethren,
    They May Have A "Work Session" Prior To They're Stated Meetings,Public Entities Do This All The Time.

Rick Stambaugh,
    # 2472

Comment

I think I can help shine some light and expand on rickgeo’s excellent comment.

In my real job, I work for a large museum with a very, very large number of trustees/directors. Like a regular company, we are incorporated and have bylaws. My office handles board relations, including meeting set up and minutes. It is rare for votes to not be unanimous as the contention is to be worked out in committees. Often committee votes are split, but not by large margins.

Basically, “work” is assigned first to a committee and they do 95% of the job. Reports go to the board, sometimes with verbal reports from the committee chair, and then the board debates and votes. Usually boards take the recommendation of the committee.

If you see boards with multiple split votes, it generally means trouble. Most common reason for a split is that the board is drifting from mission due to unclear policies and procedures or someone is simply a crank. The rest of the time it means the committee chairs and the board chair did not structure meetings well nor make sufficient time for discussion and compromise.

More disturbing to me in our club minutes are two fold: 1) far too many executive sessions where no minutes are recorded. Most service/club organizations make far, far less use of executive session than the AMCA, And 2) the board meetings are far too long, which can reflect a variety of issues or challenges.

Last edited by chuckthebeatertruck; 03-06-2022, 07:18 AM.

Comment

I do read the board minutes in every issue of the magazine. Things seem to be running very smooth but I have read in past issues where that was not always the case.
        Craig (Delaware)
        Delaware Bay Chapter
        Perkiomen Chapter
        AMCA Member #1011

Comment

Thanks Chuck, sorry for my delay returning to this thread. I understand what you are saying about committee work, but still surprised on final results upon a vote. Your last sentence does bring up some disturbing feelings for me also when the use of executive session is used too often. Would be nice to find out some of what is discussed in executive session and how long do these last with no public information. Maybe pull back the curtain a little bit.
          #7558 Take me on and you take on the whole trailer park!

Comment

Originally posted by KNUCK View Post
            Thanks Chuck, sorry for my delay returning to this thread. I understand what you are saying about committee work, but still surprised on final results upon a vote. Your last sentence does bring up some disturbing feelings for me also when the use of executive session is used too often. Would be nice to find out some of what is discussed in executive session and how long do these last with no public information. Maybe pull back the curtain a little bit.
            Sounds reasonable to me, but really doubt that will happen.

Comment

Working...
            X