What's this stand off?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What's this stand off?

An Auckland mate acquired this stand recently and nobody seems to know what it is supposed to fit.
    Can anybody on this forum identify what its off ? IMG_1031.jpgIMG_1030.jpgIMG_1032.jpg
    Peter Thomson, a.k.a. Tommo
    A.M.C.A. # 2777
    Palmerston North, New Zealand.

Maybe a Harley opposed twin sport model.
    ill look at mine in the morning.
    mark
    Mark Masa
    www.linkcycles.com

Comment

It looks very similar to the front stands used on 1942 WLC Harleys and probably other 45 models.
      Tom

Comment

Originally posted by Tom Wilcock View Post
        It looks very similar to the front stands used on 1942 WLC Harleys and probably other 45 models.
        Tom
        The WLC stand is identical to the WLA. They are pressed steel not channel.
        Attached Files
        Be sure to visit;
        http://www.vintageamericanmotorcycles.com/main.php
        Be sure to register at the site so you can see large images.
        Also be sure to visit http://www.caimag.com/forum/

Comment

Mark, It is nothing like the one on my Flat Twin Harley and both Pete and I am pretty sure its not Harley but it does look very American.
          The curve in the bottom run makes it very distinctive but what exactly its off is a mystery.
          Cleveland Two Stroke has been suggested but once again it is very different to the one on my 1922 Cleveland Two Stroke.
          The jury is still out on this one
          Peter Thomson, a.k.a. Tommo
          A.M.C.A. # 2777
          Palmerston North, New Zealand.

Comment

The early 1942 WLC did use the channel stand. Here is a page from the 1942-43 WLC parts book. WLC front stand 001.jpg

Comment

Originally posted by Chris Haynes View Post

The WLC stand is identical to the WLA. They are pressed steel not channel.
              Chris Early WL and big twin HD front stands were not pressed steel that was later. Early front stands were channel construction.

Comment

I believe '43 was the first year for the pressed front stand. However I have never seen any H-D stand with a curved center section like the one in question.
                Robbie Knight Amca #2736

Comment

I've been looking through many books and I have not seen anything quite like your stand, Peter. I agree that it has an American look but doesn't quite fit what the teen era bigger 4, or 5 manufacturers were making. I believe Harley-Davidson used the rare 7/8" channel for their rear stands which differs from most everyone else's rear stand channel. I hope someone has an answer for you.
                  Eric Smith
                  AMCA #886

Comment

Working...
                  X