Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Excuse me while I check under my couch cushions for change.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Excuse me while I check under my couch cushions for change.

Seen on Craigslist

"INDIAN - $300,000 (ashland me)

Craigslist
    INDIAN MOTORCYCLES found in a storage warehouse, 6 in total, ALL IN ORIGINAL CRATES ,
    i do not know the years only designations on crates are as follows . two of the crates have model O
    and several numbers , the two other crates have 42- V and several numbers , and the last two have
    Indian / Hendee mfg Springfeild Mass. , they have been stored in this location since some time
    before 1950s , in a room on the third floor of building , the building has been dry storage warehouse
    for 100 plus years , some of the crates have shipping tags from Boston to Connecticut , one has a
    tag from Springfeild Mass.. to Hampton NH, the warehouse is located in northwestern Maine ,
    pictures to follow and if authenticated one of the crates will be opened and also pictures to follow ,

e9d9182ed7fd3279ab2d1214c39f8ffa@sale.craigslist.o rg"

Link to listing:

https://maine.craigslist.org/mpo/d/s...442672586.html

TGTBT (Too Good To Be True) ?

Not a very savvy seller if he's got them on Craigslist. But, hey....you never know!

Presque Isle, ME is "up there"...beautiful country but not likely too many folks would travel there to do a personal inspection before plunking down the money?
    Pisten Bully is Harry Roberts in Vermont.

Comment

In the mid 1990's, at the last Cypress Gardens AMCA meet there was a camel back Indian in the crate. I believe it was a '06-'08 single and I do believe it was the genuine article because in spite of being un-used, the nickel plating was rust blistered, the paint was chalky, and the rubber parts were still crisp but checked. . . It just had the look of an ignored, unused, NOS object. I had heard about that bike for years and that it was in a massive warehouse in downtown Tampa, Fl. My good friend Don K. was an acquaintance of the building owner (hoarder) and said he could very well have had that Indian in his eclectic collection. Tampa is an ancient city by North American standards as the Spanish were the first settlers; and there was even a Gutenberg bible found in an old Spanish family estate. The point of this long winded baloney is that some bikes do still exist in crates, but as Harry said, why would you post it on Craigslist with no pictures? The real mystery about my early crated Indian story is, I have never seen, or heard of it again. I surmise it may have been brought to Cypress Gardens to be picked up by it's new (wealthy) owner and went into it's next phase of total isolation. Hopefully, someone on the forum knows about that Indian, and can give us an update. . . . Oh yeah, I was too stupid to take a picture of it.
      Eric Smith
      AMCA #886

Comment

The AMCA judging standards demand a crate, Folks,...

If that's the way they left the factory, any other machine is, by definition, futile to be judged.

crated 6.jpg

Delivery truck 3.jpg

Loading dock Greyfellow crate.jpg

Crated 48 crew.jpg

crate48.jpg

....Cotten
        Last edited by T. Cotten; 02-07-2022, 07:13 PM.
        AMCA #776
        Dumpster Diver's Motto: Seek,... and Ye Shall Find!

Comment

Love the pictures, Tom, and good comment.
          Eric Smith
          AMCA #886

Comment

Originally posted by exeric View Post
            Love the pictures, Tom, and good comment.
            Some more then, Eric!

Excelsior Shop Lyons Kansas 1912-1915.jpg

Xcrates Bicycle Supply Company 64 West 300 South Street Salt Lake City shipment of 300 Excelsiors May 21st in 1913 cropped.jpg

Colorized 300 XLCRs.jpg (Colorized...)

Crate delivery.jpg

So,..

How many points are deducted if the crate is missing?

....Cotten
            Last edited by T. Cotten; 02-07-2022, 10:27 PM.
            AMCA #776
            Dumpster Diver's Motto: Seek,... and Ye Shall Find!

Comment

You may have found a 'niche' market Cotten: Making GENUINE reproduction classic motorcycle shipping crates!!

Comment

Originally posted by T. Cotten View Post

Crate delivery.jpg

....Cotten
                Surreal is an over used word but I think it does apply to this beautiful photograph.
                Eric Smith
                AMCA #886

Comment

And here are a few from the Excelsior Factory! Thanks Eric for sharing (some) of these with me years ago! 72 Shipping dept.jpg75 Rail service.jpg73 Shipping dept 2.jpg74 American Express Trucks.jpg

Comment

Put the change back under the couch cushions. Today (maybe earlier) the Craigslist ad also reads:

SOLD , SOLD SOLD , i had several people inquire about these and three showed up in person , all said an amazing find and kind of got into a bidding war , 1 person bought the lot as a whole , thank you to all,,,,,,,,at the request of the buyer his name is not to be disclosed on my behaf, again thank you

Sure would have liked to know what that find looked like.

Dave Goesling
                    dkgoz

Comment

DK
                      Thanks for the update.

Comment

Originally posted by Dkgoz View Post
                        Sure would have liked to know what that find looked like.
                        Maybe we'll all be lucky and the buyer will be a member and share it with us, or at least bring some of it to a club meet and we'll find out through the grapevine. Here's hoping!

Eric Olson
                        Membership #18488

Comment

Maybe I am just a skeptic but I doubt this is true
                          Tom

Comment

"Trust, but Verify"

Comment

I have a really nice bridge for sale down in Brooklyn, NY if anyone is interested........

Comment

Working...
                              X