1940 Indian?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1940 Indian?

I was wondering if anyone could answer my questions regarding ebay #320035244962? The auction says 1940 Indian Chief, however the sheet metal looks 1939 and I believe it to have original paint due to the lack of rust where the chips are. The frame seems to be 1940 (rear shocks) and the engine seems to be 1940 as well. Engine #CDO1331. Is it possible that this is an early number 1940 chief and was sold new with left over sheet metal? Perhaps someone purchased the bike in 1939 then in 1940 put in a new motor for some reason.

Either way I love this bike!

Ronnie: I think that's a good question. Definitely a 1940 engine number. Spring frame certainly post '39. If we can believe all 1940 models were skirted, it does look like '39 fenders, and probably tank. I'm just a little suspicious of that paint. Not the '39 two-tone scheme. Does that pin striping on the chain guard look up to Indian standards?

Comment

I've always been under the impression that not all '40 models had the big fenders. The one's on this bike do certainly look like late '30's vintage. Perhaps some bikes came out with
      left over '39 stuff if we are to assume that this is a true original '40. I'm not sure it's that it's the "from the factory real deal" but the owner may not be aware of this. To an untrained eye it could pass for original. Somebody out there will know for sure!
      Pretty nice piece though. I hope the winner enjoys it!

Comment

I looked at the bike on Ebay. It's really quite impressive and overall, very genuine, however, I would be very surprised if it came from the factory without skirted fenders. Of coarse the military models that were shipped to France had open fenders but they were of the military style and bear no resembalance to the pre-40 production fenders that are on the bike on Ebay. From what I have read and heard, people either loved or hated the new look for 1940 Indians. I would bet that somewhere down the road this bike was converted by an owner or dealer for asthetic reasons. The bike on Ebay has a lot of the good stuff and one year only stuff that 1940's had. A few things I noticed were; the 1940 only rear suspension slippers, correct inner and outer primary, correct engine case without timing hole, and correct front fork. The horn bracket is homemade and the paint job is deffinately owner inspired. All in all, that is a very nice bike and a heck of a lot better than my '40 was when I got it.

I'm prejudiced, but I think 1940 is hands down the best looking of the skirted fender Chiefs. It's slimmer than the later Chiefs and how can you beat that fantastic front fork. A friend of mine made the comment that 1940 showed the last of what the "old line" at Indian could do, and I agree with him. After the war it all got screwed up. I rode mine to the coffee shop this morning and I think it's the best handling old (big) American bike I have ever ridden.

Comment

Thanks for the quick responses. You guys are great! I'm kind of new to the antique motorcycle world and have a lot to learn. Exeric, I'm a big fan of your work I loved seeing the pictures of your old bikes in the forum. Did you see the 1930 Henderson KJ with 1922 flxible sidecar? Amazing bike! See you in Eustis?

Thanks to all.

Comment

1930 Henderson ebay #300025858997.

Comment

Look closely at the Front End. It DOES NOT appear to have the Skirted Fender mount holes at the bottom.

Comment

While we're lookin' at the front end, is it my imagination or are those 741 fender braces sittin' on the Outside of the fenders. Rear too.

Comment

You're right Danny. Now I think the bike might have been a military model or a later civilian model that came with the big clunky military fenders. If it was a civilian fork it would have the lower skirted fender mounts but the military fork wouldn't necessarily have that mount. Also, I'll bet that's how the owner got those big military fender stays to mount up the earlier fenders. It's still a nice bike and would be a great project for someone.

Ronnie, I checked out the KJ. What a great rig that would be for someone. However, it wouldn't be me. I had a KJ a number of years ago and it was a love hate relationship. . . . . Mostly hate. I still think it's a great motorcycle and arguably right there with the late model Indian 4's. The KJ I had was cursed and the restoration process was just a masochistic test of perserverance. I really wasn't keeping score, but I think the KJ won.

Comment

Working...
                  X