Saturday Auction in MO

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Saturday Auction in MO

I was watching this auction to see what the bikes went for, but was more surprised by some of the parts.

Wow...wish I had a few of these air cleaners lying around....$6K and $7K respectively....

https://www.proxibid.com/1930-s-Harl...ation/65750689

https://www.proxibid.com/1936-Harley...ation/65750698

https://www.proxibid.com/VanDerBrink...ipp=100&sort=0

https://www.proxibid.com/RARE-1936-H...ation/65750717

This one was the shocker for me. Empty motor and nothing 1936 except the cases and the serial number is gone.

There were deals to be had once we got into the stuff that was not online but it was impossible to see and bid due to the crowd. Jerry

Comment

" I had a few of these air cleaners lying around....$6K and $7K respectively...."

Hey once you have the air-cleaner all you need is the bike!

Comment

the deals were on the floor and tables in afternoon. Bidding was fast and furious I bought a 1941 G bottom end for $175 and set of nos cylinders for it for $100. Tremendous amount of parts for vl, rl, dl. But you had to dig into boxes and find them.

Comment

I watched this auction for three hours... was hopeful some deals would come up. Is this how allnof these auctins have been going??

Comment

Auctions can be a mixed bag and depends on a lot of factors. The thing about this auction house, VanDerBrink's, is that she does it right for the sellers. While not advantageous to us, it definitely is for the seller. She knows how to market. She usually posts all of the details of the auction, along with pictures, many months in advance of the auction date. I have seen her publish an auction that is a year out. This extended time allows her to market the heck out of it, allow the google search bots to inventory the lots so they continuously show up on google searches, and finally, get a news carrier to publish a story about something unique in the auction that will be published on their nationwide site. I have seen this happen with her auctions multiple times on Fox News. Ultimately, you end up with everyone and their brother from almost everywhere with their sights set on something, and usually something you want ;-) Oh yes, you also need to add in the effects of "auction fever"!

Also, on a related side note, many years ago I was bidding in a not well published and attended auction where I thought I had a great opportunity to pick up a Knuckle. Kept bidding, kept bidding and got to my limit. I talked to the Auctioneer the next day and he told me I was the only one up against one other bidder on it and that person was from Japan. Also said that based on the level of communication this buyer had with them prior to the auction, they were prepared to pay whatever they had to to get that bike as they had a shipping company already onsite to pick it up without even knowing if they would win it! From there it went straight to LA to be dropped into a shipping container. I was really bummed about that one and was the last time that I remember even having a chance at a knuckle for an OK price. You never know who you are bidding against anymore at online auctions...could be anywhere in the world.

Comment

Originally posted by rms337 View Post
              Auctions can be a mixed bag and depends on a lot of factors. The thing about this auction house, VanDerBrink's, is that she does it right for the sellers. While not advantageous to us, it definitely is for the seller. She knows how to market. She usually posts all of the details of the auction, along with pictures, many months in advance of the auction date. I have seen her publish an auction that is a year out. This extended time allows her to market the heck out of it, allow the google search bots to inventory the lots so they continuously show up on google searches, and finally, get a news carrier to publish a story about something unique in the auction that will be published on their nationwide site. I have seen this happen with her auctions multiple times on Fox News. Ultimately, you end up with everyone and their brother from almost everywhere with their sights set on something, and usually something you want ;-) Oh yes, you also need to add in the effects of "auction fever"!

Also, on a related side note, many years ago I was bidding in a not well published and attended auction where I thought I had a great opportunity to pick up a Knuckle. Kept bidding, kept bidding and got to my limit. I talked to the Auctioneer the next day and he told me I was the only one up against one other bidder on it and that person was from Japan. Also said that based on the level of communication this buyer had with them prior to the auction, they were prepared to pay whatever they had to to get that bike as they had a shipping company already onsite to pick it up without even knowing if they would win it! From there it went straight to LA to be dropped into a shipping container. I was really bummed about that one and was the last time that I remember even having a chance at a knuckle for an OK price. You never know who you are bidding against anymore at online auctions...could be anywhere in the world.

"You never know who you are bidding against anymore at online auction...could be anywhere in the world."

Or simply the auctioneer...............

Comment

Good point that I forgot to mention, Riggpigg. That can be the case likely more often than one thinks.

Comment

I agree with previous statements, I was at Rutland VT Indian horde also by VanDerBrink's. The online bidding was fierce and to me overpriced, the bargains were on the floor after the online bidding although it was a scrum down on the floor.

Comment

Working...
                  X