Had an accident and need advice

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

replacement costs

I made sure that I went to a stated value insurance after I totaled my servicar in 1992. The old insurance company gave me $3,000.00 and wanted to keep my trike. Some sort of line about the blue book. I took $2,500.00 and kept the trike. I now have insurance through a different company and much more original stuff on the trike. I do stated value with an antique vehicle insurance company based upon my personal experience. If you have that experience you learn. The accident was my fault. Their insurance company will want to send an adjustor to take pictures and more than likely not give you a fair shake. Sorry but car insurance companies don't understand antique values or replacement issues. Denise

Comment

"Sorry but car insurance companies don't understand antique values or replacement issues"

Sorry Denise, I don't agree and stand behind my long history with State Farm. I get low rates and have one bike (custom) insured for $50K! Everytime I've filed a claim, I take in 3 estimates and they write a check "to me" right on the spot. No questions asked. I do the repairs myself.

Kurt

Comment

That may be the case with State Farm. It wasn't the case from my experience. I am just hoping that the other insurance company is as pleasant to deal with in his situation. It is a sad situation either way and I know that it's tough to go through. The only consolation is that you get better at identifying the correct parts and assembling becomes easier after you do it the second time around. Thanks for your input. Denise

Comment

Danny, look at the 1952 Panhead forum. There is a nice picture of an original 1940 Chief.

Comment

indian nut, i love your bike!

for antique motorcycles, what is the best insurance company to go with?

Comment

Danny -

Real sorry this happened. But, I'm more glad that you survived to rebuild your machine. When I had my wreck 2 years ago, I had a friend (and fellow builder) do the apraisal. He is service manager for a local H-D dealer, and did it through them. That way there was no question as to validity of the apraisal. My wreck involved a minivan that crossed an intersection, thinking they could beat the car behind me. Never saw me. Their insurance (State Farm) paid for my bike with few questions.

Again, I'm sure glad that you made it out of this alive. Not many do.

Jack

Comment

They'll actually give you money for an Indian? I'll have to take a second look at that one I use as an anchor for my doghouse! Just kiddin' folks. I would say I like State Farm, too. Cheap antique insurance, with the value listed on the policy papers. Also, know your agent! If he knows your bikes, that is a plus. Mine asked for pictures. I also rode mine right there at his office, so he knew what I had. I don't think you can ever have too much documentation, either. The value on some bikes is pretty well established. British bikes are a little more tricky.

Comment

Working...
                X