Had an accident and need advice

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Had an accident and need advice

After a 250 mile ride today that couldn't have been better, just 2 miles from my house, I had someone pull right in front of me on my Virgin, Un-molested 1940 Indian Chief and all I had time to think was, I am going to hit this *******. I won't go into details of the wreck other than He got the ticket, there were 2 witnesses, and by some miracle. I just got some Lumps and road-rash. My major concern is that his ins. is good and I can't find that out until tomorrow. It doesn't APPEAR damaged behind the neck. That Beautiful Leaf-Spring front end and the 1940 Only front fender are wasted. This is without a doubt the first accident this bike has EVER been in. In 30 years of street riding this is my first and I don't know what to do to make sure that I can get what I need to fix my bike properly. The best thing about this Chief is that it went down the road as perfect and straight as an arrow. I guess my fear is that they will send an adjuster out who will not Understand what this bike IS. I would appreciate any advice Ya'll could give. Thanks, Danny

Bummer- good the hear your OK.

The INS CO. looks at the bottom line. They don't care what it is. Honest injun.

Comment

AdminGuy's right.

I own several custom cars and bikes and each one is appraised for full replacement value and insured that way. If not, they wouldn't be worth squat according to their books, no matter how much they're worth before an accident.

I tell everyone to spend the money and have their ride, whatever it is, appraised by a certified "knowledgable" appraiser and make sure your insurance company will accept it. I have State Farm and have had to file a few claims over the 22 years I've been with them and I tell you, the extra cost was well worth it. Especially when they had to fully replace a paint job on one of my customs for over $10K!!! Never raised my rates, or dropped me.

Good luck and let us know what happens.

Glad you're safe!!!!

Kurt

Comment

Man Danny ! The Big Guy upstairs was with you !! I am also very glad you are ok. I totally agree with Kurt. Kurt's way is cut a dry and basically hassel free. Now to the hassel side... A plus would be if you have historical or antique registration on it. Even without , you can still seek estimates from legit sources. Dealers in the know, restorers, and collectors are all good legit sources. Copies of simuliar models which sold at auction is a plus also. Ads in magazines can help too. Get as many estimates as you can and submit only the three highest ones to the insurance company. If the insurance coverage does not cover the repair amount, you can go after the driver personally through the courts. Good luck!! Please keep us posted. Paps

Comment

Glad your OK, that's the main thing. My "old" NADA book says the value of a 1940 Chief to be $7500 to $36500. I would think any insurance co would have to follow such an accredited organizations estimates.

Comment

Yea, that may be Louie, but it could end up being like the post about registering a bike in Pa. for antique plates. We all know that an original unmolested bike is worth more than a complete restored one in most cases, but the insurance company may see the patina and consider it on the low side of the scale unless you're lucky enough to have an agent that's a bike enthusiast and can help.

Of course, I don't know what the bike looked like before the accident.....just assumed it was mostly untouched......

Kurt

Comment

Before!
              Attached Files

Comment

Had an accident

You might want to start collecting information on the cost of repair parts. If you can find ongoing or completed sales on eBay or get quotes from a dealer with good used, original parts for the fender or front fork, then you can help the adjuster understand what your real repair costs are going to be.

Too bad about the accident, but its great you weren't seriously hurt. Too much of that going around lately!

Dave

Comment

That looks like my kind of bike....except it does have a lot of paint on it......

Comment

That is sweet!!!

I hate to ask, but do you have a now pix of it?

Comment

Indianut,
                      Sorry to hear about the bike.........GOOD to hear your ok !!!
                      johnny

Comment

Danny, I had the same deal on my '51 pan. After getting out of the hospital I was advised to get a lawyer. Like the "Ask Gary" guy we see on TV here in Florida. Shortly after that I got a visit from a somewhat sleezy adjuster for the car driver's insurance company. I was told not to say anything about the accident to them. As for the bike, I had it appraised by a shop that knew old motorcycles and they submitted a liberal amount to my lawyer who took care of that and got me a check for the bike. Basically you know what it's worth and don't accept any low-ball offers from the insurance company. You may not want to get a lawyer involved, but in a case like this you'll probably need their help. They know how that game is played.

Comment

Sorry to hear about your bad day! Now what to do first thing like a few others have said start finding info you can present to the proper people at the right time,As far as repairs.estimates with a proper letterhead are a MUST,there are people in the club that will help with an acurate account of damages,a good lawyer is most likely a must! I would not be in any hurry to get this settled,time is no your side. I do hope it works out and Im sure it will if you take your time! GOOD LUCK!

Comment

I am in the insurance claims end of the business and many times it depends on the insurance company as to how easy it goes. I would work with them until such time as you think you are not being properly compensated, and they have made a final offer, then go to plan "B".
                            On this type of unique item you may be asked to obtain an estimate. Go to a motorcycle shop that can handle it and have this done or do one yourself if in a remote area. Lawyers cost us all money, go with plan "A" for now.
                            I hope you had your own insurance then you have to options from the start.

Comment

Thanks guys for all of your advice. I really appreciate it and will take it all into consideration. I am gathering information now and should meet with the adjuster today or tomorrow.

Comment

Working...
                              X