Found this and thought I would pass it along:

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Found this and thought I would pass it along:

Hoard of vintage Harley-Davidson and Indian motorcycles will be auctioned August 14th in Rutland, Vt. RUTLAND, Vermont

July 19, 2021

https://www.artfixdaily.com/artwire/...cles-will-be-a

"RUTLAND, Vt. – The single-owner lifetime collection of Robert “Bob” Bearoran incredible assemblage of Harley-Davidson and Indian motorcycles, parts
    and memorabilia dating as far back as 1908, to include rare and important barn find motorcycles that are finally seeing th e light of day, plus
    vintage cars, midget race cars, antique tractors, chainsaws, vintagefishing lures and more – will all come up for bid on Saturday, August 14th
    at the Vermont State Fairgrounds in Rutland, from 10 am-6 pm Eastern time, by VanDerBrink Auctions, based in Hardwick, Minn

Mr. Bearor, who passed away in 2019, was a dedicated car and motorcycle enthusiast and a self-described wild-man who, along with his wife
    Christine, who went by “Teenie” because of her diminutive stature of just 4 feet 9 inches, always surrounded themselves with vintage cars and
    motorcycles, especially Harley-Davidsons, which the couple would ride to shows or just for fun, often in matching outfits. The two got married
    in a 1958 Corvette. Teenie survives her husband.

Along the way, Bob befriended Ed Flynn, a kindred spirit wild-man and the owner of an Indian Motorcycles dealership in Bennington, Vt. Ed’s
    collection was just as impressive as Bob’s and, upon Ed’s death and with the blessing of Ed’s widow, Mr. Flynn’s massive inventory of Indian motorcycles (two of which were unearthed from under his house), as well as hundreds of parts (including NOS) and memorabilia from the Indian dealer ship, became part of Bob’s collection.

In May of this year, a team from VanDerBrink Auctions, plus some motorcycle enthusiasts from New York, went to the Bearor property to inventory
    Mr. Flynn’s collection. In a chicken coop they found 14 frames and vintage Indian and Harley-Davidson motorcycles. The museum was full of Indian and
    Harley memorabilia and parts. For three days, the crew diligently dug through the buildings on the property and uncovered 53 motorcycles, hundreds
    of parts and memorabilia.

Now, the two combined collections in their entirety will be sold to the highest bidder, live at the fairgrounds and online, via Proxibid.com.
    A preview will be held on Friday, August 13th, from 10-6. The catalog, plus a video, can be viewed now, on the VanDerBrink Auctions website: www.VanDerBrinkAuctions.com. “Many of the motorcycle parts will be just for onsite bidders, so it’s best to attend the auction in person,” said
    Yvette VanDerBrink of VanDerBrink Auctions.

Several motorcycles are certain to attract attention.
    One is the 1947 Indian Chief motorcycle, an older restore that’s green and gold and with all the stainless-steel parts supposedly dipped in gold
    (although it has not been tested). The bike had been touring in a display from Mr. Bearor and it ran when parked. It features a V2 4-stroke, V-Twin
    motor with suicide chain drive transmission, white wall tires with fringe and a big white leather seat with fringe – a truly unique motorcycle

Then there’s the 1976 Harley-Davidson FLH motorcycle with a sidecar thatMr. Bearor dubbed “The Joker”. Known as a Coney Island custom, the bike is powered by a Harley V Twin motor, shows just 9,567 miles on the odometer and boasts lots of metal green flake. Many hours and thousands of dollars went into this custom, one-of-a-kind motorcycle. It comes witha10-page appraisal, listing all the things done to it. Bearor toured it ina semi on a walk-through display.

Two Indians that are rare but in need of a restoration are the 1932 IndianChief 4-cylinder bike and the 1937 Indian Sport Scout with V Twin motor,both of them barn finds that appear mostly complete. Memorabilia includesvintage advertising posters for Indian Power Plus motors (25 inches by 38inches) and an Indian and Goodyear advertising poster (13 ½ inches by 40
    inches).

Other Indian motorcycles and parts in the auction include a rare 1917-1918Indian Model O Light Twin, a 1920 Indian Power Plus, a 1924 Indian Chief,
    an early 1928 Indian frame, a 1932 Indian Scout, a 1932 Indian Chief 4-cylinder, a 1937 Indian Sport Scout, two 1937-1939 Indian Chief rigid frames,
    a 1938 Indian Junior Scout, a 1938 Indian Chief frame, a 1949 Indian Arrow and a 1951 Indian Warrior TT. See the VanDerBrink Auctions website for a
    full list of offerings.

The Harley-Davidson category will feature an early 1916 Harley Davidson frame and motor, a 1919-1922 Harley-Davidson Sport project, a 1991 Harley
    Davidson, a 1997 Harley-Davidson Electro-Glide Sport, a 1930’s Harley-Davidson frame, a Harley-Davidson VL Series project and more.
    Lot 170B should spark a bidding war; it’s for a very rare pair of 1916 Harley wheel discs.

Motorcycles by other makers include a 1972 Honda CB100, a 1974 CB125Sand a 1982 Yamaha GT80. Motorcycle memorabilia will feature 50
    vintage Indian dealer motorcycle posters, Indian pins, Indian postcards,Indian tools, Indian bicycles, Indian oil cans, vintage motorcycle leathers, kidney belts, racing suits,
    vintage race posters, vintage motorcycle hill climb posters and more."

I am in the process of getting bidding creds. ahead of time instead of day of auction, was told there will be heavy hitters there, also Indian 4 is a 1934. looking at web pix, it's a lot.

Comment

Originally posted by bstevens479 View Post
      was told there will be heavy hitters there.
      Ugh...I'm going as I understand there's items not on line that will also be offered. Vermont climate is not kind to motorcycles left outside or otherwise left to rot.
      Pisten Bully is Harry Roberts in Vermont.

Comment

visited the auction preview this morning, lots of stuff!

733A2B45-FA4C-4F94-9DFA-7CE2A30B7B9A.jpegBB9E1958-EEB2-4C33-88CC-8FD0054601F4.jpeg30AA4B8A-DF31-4069-B3AD-4AEE17DF5EF4.jpeg233D68FC-D217-44FA-9BF3-E8F93D7938CD.jpeg

Comment

Wow! Thanks for the pictures. Amazing accumulation.

Comment

[QUOTE=pisten-bully;n288851]visited the auction preview this morning, lots of stuff!

Hope you brought a BIG truck or trailer! Good luck with the bidding.

Comment

I bet there's over a hundred chainsaws there from his collection! Not to mention the clothing, cars, tractors and on and on and on...it's going to be a long day.

Here's a problem, there's so much stuff they've consolidated multiple items into lots. So, for example, I saw a cylinder I could use but it's in a lot on a pallet with maybe 20 other cylinders that I have no desire to own. And if there's people there who want those other cylinders (several square based Chief cylinders) then they'll bid up the lot ....and if I wanted that one cylinder enough to buy the whole lot then I'd have to bid against people looking for 15+ square based Chief cylinders. What are square based cylinders worth, $200 each? That's $3k for the pallet and the buyer looking for square based cylinders will have gotten a good deal....me...not so much!

We'll see, but I'm not optimistic as I saw several sellers of Indian parts there from states far away.

How about a lot of 20+ carburetors!

Comment

A lot of 20+ carburetors!!!!!! Please try and post a picture!!! Glad you can be there. I will try an follow on line. Good Luck!

Comment

Originally posted by pisten-bully View Post
                  I bet there's over a hundred chainsaws there from his collection! Not to mention the clothing, cars, tractors and on and on and on...it's going to be a long day.

Here's a problem, there's so much stuff they've consolidated multiple items into lots. So, for example, I saw a cylinder I could use but it's in a lot on a pallet with maybe 20 other cylinders that I have no desire to own. And if there's people there who want those other cylinders (several square based Chief cylinders) then they'll bid up the lot ....and if I wanted that one cylinder enough to buy the whole lot then I'd have to bid against people looking for 15+ square based Chief cylinders. What are square based cylinders worth, $200 each? That's $3k for the pallet and the buyer looking for square based cylinders will have gotten a good deal....me...not so much!

We'll see, but I'm not optimistic as I saw several sellers of Indian parts there from states far away.

How about a lot of 20+ carburetors!
                  Just try to make a side deal with the bidders of the lots for the individual pieces you are interested in. I have had reasonable success with that in the past rather than bidding against each other!.
                  Robbie Knight Amca #2736

Comment

...indeed a long day, 7 hours and I didn't even stay until the end. Here's my take on this auction....it was really unique to have this much stuff in one sale so it drew from far and wide, beyond every New England plate I saw license plates from 25+ other states, OK, OH, IA, MN, WI, SC, GA, FL and more....many with a trailer in tow. I knew several faces in the crowd from AMCA meets and others selling parts so I'm thinking this sale was a good chance for those who make a living off this hobby to stock up. Those kind of buyers will resell at Wauseon, Oley, and others so I may see these parts again, which means I'll have to hit the circuit next year!

On a side note, there were only about four people masked in the whole crowd including me and Kent Thompson ...and it was hot in there. They moved at a pace of about 45 sales per hour.

It's a whole new age, auctions used to be local and deals could be had. But this auction was worldwide....there were winning bidders from the UK, Austria, Holland, and the Netherlands (the only ones mentioned by the auctioneer). Good for the estate!

You can see pricing results on the auction website, $44k for the '32 Four cylinder...and like most of the stuff there it was a rusty mess!

EE2ABE8F-4331-4210-92C8-C0430B18BA8B.jpeg

Comment

I followed for a time on-line and the bikes/lots did move fast!

At least these antique parts are 'back in circulation' and not deteriorating further under sheds or in leaky barns.

(Note To Self: When can no longer kick it over:
                      Park somewhere DRY
                      Drain gas and fog tanks
                      Fill engine, primary and trans with ATF
                      Hose entire bike down with Cosmoline.)

Comment

Hi thanks for pix, I am lousy with a camera. I stayed to end, bought a few items , thought I did well, must be patient. It did get hectic on choice bidding at the end. There was a bald headed heavy hitter to my right, first row, I did not know, who pushed hard & would not be backed down, what ever he bid on he won. Seeing all that stuff in one place, was well worth the trip.

Comment

Working...
                        X