Wauseon National Meet -- a few pictures to "wet" your appetite

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wauseon National Meet -- a few pictures to "wet" your appetite

Wauseon was BACK with an attitude for 2021. I have been fortunate enough to attend about 2/3rds of the Wauseon meets since the early 90s -- and I had the most enjoyable time ever despite the rain.

Let's back up a minute -- yes, it rained terribly on Friday and drizzled on/off Thursday. However, that didn't seem to slow anyone down but a few guys who were very worried about their "precious." Those guys seemed to be huddled by their trailers. Everyone else was out picking in the rain anyways.

Most importantly, the organizing chapters did an amazing job keeping the place running. In particular, the place was cleaner than usual. Garbage pick up each night sure helped as did the copious amounts of litter baskets. Even the bathrooms were amazingly clean considering the conditions.

The most amazing thing, to me, is how many people in their 20s and 30s were milling around with their families! It was quite a thing to see a 30 something mother picking parts with her under 10 year old daughter(s). I saw that more than once -- and Dad's picking with their sons/daughters too.

Yippee -- old motorcycling isn't dead.

Here's a few photos to keep you going until the magazine comes out.

Thank you for posting these great pics. Have a couple questions. Did the racing go on with the rain issue and did you get a pork chop on a stick?
    #7558 Take me on and you take on the whole trailer park!

Comment

Great pictures Chuck! I see my first road bike. Honda CL350 and same color as the one I owned many moons ago.
      Craig (Delaware)
      Delaware Bay Chapter
      Perkiomen Chapter
      AMCA Member #1011

Comment

Originally posted by KNUCK View Post
        Thank you for posting these great pics. Have a couple questions. Did the racing go on with the rain issue and did you get a pork chop on a stick?
        Races were held Saturday afternoon. I was loading up as practice started. Mrs Chuck made me promise to stop playing motorcycles and come home for Saturday date night :-( I really wanted to see a new friend race his sportster on the dirt.

Pettisville meats was out in force and multiple pork chops on a stick consumed.

actually, the food vendors were great this year, the facility pretty clean for all the rain, and regular trash pick up meant it was a remarkable event despite the weather.

I was Dead surprised at how good Wauseon was this year. I expected a terrible time dodging rain and instead had the most fun in a decade.

Davenport ought to be a shining time.

Comment

Originally posted by craig (DE) View Post
          Great pictures Chuck! I see my first road bike. Honda CL350 and same color as the one I owned many moons ago.
          There was a wider selection of bikes than I recall in recent years. Oddly, nortons were scarce for a major make where as several obscure makes, like Victoria, were around.

The three wheel theme brought more servis than I've ever seen.

Comment

Thanks for posting Chuck! I was hoping someone would post some pics as I was not able to make it. It too heard even though it was rainy folks were still milling about buying a selling.
            Jason Zerbini
            Near Pittsburgh PA (Farm Country)
            Allegheny Mountain Chapter http://amcaamc.com/

Comment

Originally posted by Skirted View Post
              Thanks for posting Chuck! I was hoping someone would post some pics as I was not able to make it. It too heard even though it was rainy folks were still milling about buying a selling.
              The buying and selling was intense. I told the tale on a private forum I moderate, but the short version is that I walked into Wauseon with $1000 in my pocket and walked out three days later with $700 and a trailer/trunk full of parts as well as a triumph bicycle for the wife. Basically, I'd find a part cheap, buy it, and resell it a row or two over ;-)

Folks were in a great mood.

Comment

Originally posted by chuckthebeatertruck View Post

The buying and selling was intense. I told the tale on a private forum I moderate, but the short version is that I walked into Wauseon with $1000 in my pocket and walked out three days later with $700 and a trailer/trunk full of parts as well as a triumph bicycle for the wife. Basically, I'd find a part cheap, buy it, and resell it a row or two over ;-)

Folks were in a great mood.
                That's the feeling I got too from reports and a good side of rain is no dust from the various motorized tour machines! Friends found me a real nice front crash bar for the 64 Duo-Glide for $40 which is 1/4 what it would sell for online. Another story from friend Willie....He sold 2 bikes one being a 65 Sportster low 8k+ miles, very original, including paint and great condition only the gas tank had rusted through. After selling the bike, another mutual friend spied an original paint 65 sportster gas tank in blue and white same color so they bought it and contacted the guy who had just bought the bike and passed it on very reasonably. Needless to say that was a happy buyer.
                Jason Zerbini
                Near Pittsburgh PA (Farm Country)
                Allegheny Mountain Chapter http://amcaamc.com/

Comment

Fantastic pictures, Chuck, and thank you for taking, and posting so many for us on the forum. I think you did a good job of describing the Wauseon meet atmosphere, which in spite of the rain, was an excellent meet. To be honest, I preferred the light rain to the burning hot Sahara heat I've experienced in the past. As for parts hunting; Wauseon far exceeded my expectations and gave my Sport Scout project a big boost. As you said, everyone was easy-going, and the mood was positive throughout. I can't thank the AMCA chapters enough for their hard work, and volunteerism to make that such a great meet.
                  Eric Smith
                  AMCA #886

Comment

Working...
                  X