What do these 7s mean on my motor

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What do these 7s mean on my motor

I have seen these before. What do these 7s mean on my panhead?
    Attached Files

74 Cubic inch motor... stamped on the F/FL cases; not the ELs
    Last edited by droptopford; 07-12-2021, 04:42 PM.

Comment

55FLE blank
      55FL 7s
      55FLH Hs (Although not on all as early 55 FLH was a brand new idea)
      All in your Palmer's book....
      And this should be posted in the Panhead section, not parking lot chatter. Makes it much easier to find.
      Last edited by Rubone; 07-12-2021, 05:26 PM.
      Robbie Knight Amca #2736

Comment

Originally posted by Panhead_Bobber_11C
        Thank you and yes it makes sense This bike is a 55 FL. Was this done on FLH's also?

Here’s a photo you posted in May and the motor was said to be 55FLH. I asked if the left case was really 55.

A few days later there was another thread about a motor stamped 55FLH but the cases were replacements with 1960 BNs. I asked if anything was stamped on top of the cases and I posted photos of 7s and Hs. Later in that thread some of your posts were removed and the same thing happened in another of your threads.

Now we have this thread including your photo below but this bike is FL? Can you post a partial photo of the engine number please. And what are the belly numbers?
        Eric

Comment

Palmer’s 37–64 SE says the 7s are 1/2” tall. I don’t have the TE (36–65) but I know it says the same thing. On top of rear mounts I’ve seen hundreds of 7s, some seriffed and some sans serif, and from 41 thru 70, but none of them are 1/2” tall. Why does Palmer say they are?

In 2014 the 37–64 SE said it was unclear when the Hs appeared but that they were present by 1958. But I’ll change that to as early as 1956. The FLH debuted about mid-55 and some had 7s. Did any 55FLHs have H on the rear mount? I don’t know yet but Hs appeared there on at least some 56 models. The latest example I have of Hs on the rear mount is a 76 Shovel. And you’ll find them not only on FLHs but on certain other models such as Super Glides.
          Eric

Comment

Panhead_Bobber_11C, today I received notification that you had quoted me in this thread but when I clicked the link I received a message: ‘Sorry, you are not authorized to view this page. For assistance contact the site administrator.’

I then checked this thread but there were no new posts so it seems your most recent post was removed. Which of my posts did you quote and what was your question?
            Eric

Comment

Working...
            X