Can someone ID these barrels for me?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can someone ID these barrels for me?

Just picked this bike up. Can someone ID these barrels for me please. Thanks
    Attached Files

Originally posted by Panhead_Bobber_11C View Post
    That appears to be an OEM Panhead cylinder to me although some of the repops are now showing up with casting dates. Jerry

Comment

Originally posted by Jerry Wieland View Post

That appears to be an OEM Panhead cylinder to me although some of the repops are now showing up with casting dates. Jerry
      Yes I know they are OEM from the date codes on the barrels I just don't know how to read the date codes. Palmers book doesn't list how either. So I figured maybe one of the veterans on here could.

Comment

"Palmers book doesn't list how either."

Actually, he does...
        Robbie Knight Amca #2736

Comment

Originally posted by Rubone View Post
          "Palmers book doesn't list how either."

Actually, he does...
          I'm talking about reading date codes hence why I took a picture of the numbers. It does not list how to read the numbers on the barrels. Only says how to identify year range when the barrels are off the motorcycle. First style being from 48-52 , 2nd style being 53-62 and 3rd style 63-65.

Comment

I'm talking about reading date codes hence why I took a picture of the numbers. It does not list how to read the numbers on the barrels. Only says how to identify year range when the barrels are off the motorcycle. First style being from 48-52 , 2nd style being 53-62 and 3rd style 63-65.
            No, you aren't hearing me, it covers how to decipher the codes. Info is in edition II and edition III.
            Robbie Knight Amca #2736

Comment

Originally posted by Rubone View Post

No, you aren't hearing me, it covers how to decipher the codes. Info is in edition II and edition III.
              Just deciphered a set yesterday using Palmers book.

Comment

If your Palmer book mentions three styles of Pan cylinders but doesn’t explain the codes then I imagine it is one of the FEs. There were at least three versions of the FE and each of them contains hundreds of mistakes. BTW, trying to identify a Pan cylinder according only to the three styles mentioned will not work if the cylinder was altered from original and plenty have been. For example a 48–52 style can easily be modified to return oil into the bore like a later style.

The SE (2014) has some date code info and some of it is good but some of it is misleading, confusing, contradictory or incorrect.

On another site someone said ‘11/16/49’ but I disagree. The cylinders were produced by Motor Castings Company and on cast-iron pieces such as those the letter I was skipped for date codes and therefore K does not indicate November. And I don’t think it was cast in 49 because AFAIK the Pan cylinders cast that year had no date code.
                On H-D Pan cylinders the earliest date codes I’ve seen so far are Feb 1950 (front) and Jan 1950 (rear). And you could also ask that person why he said 49 anyway, as opposed to 59.

I think K 16-9 indicates casting on Oct 16, 1959. But if you want us to investigate further then you could post a photo showing the front of the top fin.

Your other cylinder had L which indicates November. The plate appeared upside down and the numbers looked like 2-9? Can you confirm. If the code is L 2-9 then it indicates casting on Nov 2, 1959.

What cases are your cylinders attached to?

Eric

Comment

Working...
                X