Ratchet top trans value

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ratchet top trans value

Im looking for some knowledge from the members.
    I found a correct date code ratchet top transmission for my flh. A friend has it and is looking to clear some stuff out of his shop.
    Assuming the internals are up to snuff, (I'll check ) what would the value be. I dont really need it......but.....I tend to collect parts.
    I dont want to overpay for a trans that is going to sit on the shelf till needed, but I would like to give him what its worth.
    Im aware its only worth what someone will pay, I dont have a value reference for just a trans.
    Thanks all, Doniii

It can vary depending on era, Pre '78 is worth possibly a bit more than '79 up, pre '70 is worth a little more than 70 up, pre '65 is worth more than '65 up, pre '59 (no neutral switch) is worth more than '59 up, They can vary by quite a bit. Which are you looking at?
    Robbie Knight Amca #2736

Comment

Robbie
      I was told it was date code 1966...now he is saying 1965. I have a 66 flh. I'm not sure I need a spare thats not for something I have. ......but I'm always into making money..who knows I may end up with a 65 someday

Comment

Originally posted by DonIII View Post
        Im looking for some knowledge from the members.
        I found a correct date code ratchet top transmission for my flh. A friend has it and is looking to clear some stuff out of his shop.
        Assuming the internals are up to snuff, (I'll check ) what would the value be. I dont really need it......but.....I tend to collect parts.
        I dont want to overpay for a trans that is going to sit on the shelf till needed, but I would like to give him what its worth.
        Im aware its only worth what someone will pay, I dont have a value reference for just a trans.
        Thanks all, Doniii
        It varies. By alot. I bought my 54 ratchet with a neutral light top for 800 in march. I'd say anywhere from 700-1200 is average. But it varies greatly. This whole knuckle pan world varies by so much in price. Some people will give good fair deals and others want outrageous amounts.

Comment

All early production '66 models will have '65 date coded transmissions. They were actually built in mid '65 for release in September for the following model year. So it may be correct as everything in the first half or so of production has previous year codes. What is the number prefix on the top? The anti-theft number.
          Robbie Knight Amca #2736

Comment

Originally posted by DonIII View Post
            I was told it was date code 1966...now he is saying 1965.

I’ve never seen a date code on a 65 or 66 model Big Twin trans case. If your friend said it had date code 66 but now says 65 then perhaps he is referring to casting number 34703 65? It was first used for 65 but it remained in use thru about early-77. However it seems the overwhelming majority of those cases had no date code.

On a 34703 65 case the only date code I’ve seen is 1-77 indicating casting in Jan 77.

The anti-theft number on the case is also called an additional original component identifying number or a security code and it may be stamped on the front R-H side just below where the lid attaches. For example B1234. The letter indicates model year(s). On a 34703 65 case the letter could be anything from B thru W except I, O and Q which were not used. And a photo would be a good idea because I’ve seen a few that are not consistent with factory stamping.
            Eric

Comment

Thanks to all for the info. I'm going to look at his stash of parts this morning (Thursday). I'll take a closer look at the trans and take pic of the anti theft numbers. At least I have a baseline to start with...he likes to negotiate
              Thanks Don

Comment

Looked at the trans yesterday. Not what i was hoping for. Looks to me like a late seventies trans to me..Has the single post neutral swithch and the kicker cover with the allen screw in the face also no speedo drive. I cant make out the 3 digit number cast on the top of the right side. The internals all looked very nice. Not something i need for a spare. I'll try and load a few pics.
                Thanks to all for your input. Doniii

Comment

Working...
                X