• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• get yer new motorcycle stamps

New Stamps Misspell 'Motorcycle'
    - By RANDOLPH E. SCHMID, Associated Press Writer
    Friday, September 1, 2006

(09-01) 10:11 PDT WASHINGTON, (AP) --

The Postal Service recently, with great fanfare, issued a new set of stamps depicting motorcycles. Collectors who buy copies issued on the first day the stamps are available can get them with a special commemorative postmark. Unfortunately, the colorful postmark spells it "motorcyle."

Having discovered this, the post office announced Friday that new orders for first-day envelopes will have a corrected postmark.

Unless the buyer wants it spelled wrong. In that case they can still order the version with the incorrect postmark. Just include a note asking for the incorrect version.

Any collectors who already have misspelled versions can trade them for the corrected version by sending them to INFORMATION FULFILLMENT, DEPT 6270, US POSTAL SERVICE, PO BOX 219424, KANSAS CITY, MO, 64121-9424.

i thought the only proper way to spell "real bike " was MOTOCYCLE!

Comment

Pretty funny stuff.

I bought a block of the motorcycle stamps and felt underwhelmed. The Indian Four is logical enough but who picked the other three?

Why TWO freaking Panheads? (65 Electra-Glide and a chopper).

And what looks to be a 1918 Cleveland 2-stroke lightweight?

Huh?

So many awesome AMERICAN motorcycles to choose from (Cyclone, Pope, Super-X, Thor, Jefferson, Mile-a-Minute Mitchell, etc. etc.) and somebody picks the lightweight Cleveland?

Notoriously lacking is the 1936 Knucklehead which would have been my FIRST pick if a Harley-Davidson was to be honored in any meaningful way.

Jeez.....

Comment

Harley,
        On a few points I agree,the Four well Inever had one I didnt love and that one of Larrys sure is nice ! A 36 Knuck would have been nice,but the last pan 1st electric start Harley isnt a real bad thing to be licking either ! The story behind the POPE is pretty special also , the chopper I can take it on leave it and who knows they run another batch! Ive heard more pi$$in and mownin about the stamps than the metric stuff on the cover of our mag and on the calender! (which I wont be buying thisyear because of just that!) But what the hey thats the way things go I guess!Hope to see more winter shots of yours this year !

Comment

My local post office doesn't stock them but I have seen them all. Where is the War Wagon WLA/WLC ???? Were is the WL and Servi-Car ? I know I left a few out but what is up with the modern bikes seeming to take presidence ??? Paps

Comment

PAPS,
            If you want them your local PO will give you a tollfree # to order them if they dont let me know I have it here some where

Comment

Thanks Bro, I'll keep that in mind if they won't. Paps

Comment

Originally posted by INLINE4NUT
                Harley,
                On a few points I agree,the Four well Inever had one I didnt love and that one of Larrys sure is nice ! A 36 Knuck would have been nice,but the last pan 1st electric start Harley isnt a real bad thing to be licking either ! The story behind the POPE is pretty special also , the chopper I can take it on leave it and who knows they run another batch! Ive heard more pi$$in and mownin about the stamps than the metric stuff on the cover of our mag and on the calender! (which I wont be buying thisyear because of just that!) But what the hey thats the way things go I guess!Hope to see more winter shots of yours this year !
                Yes, the '65 FL was a milestone in that anybody could now start a Big Twin with the push of a button instead of jumping on it.

But at least they could have dropped a Knuck motor into that chopper stamp as that was the hotter setup in spite of that "Easyrider" movie.

I wonder if there will be more motorcycle stamps? When I got mine I also saw the Super Hero stamps and honestly they looked cooler to me as I was comic book freak as a kid. But I guess I shouldn't complain because even a Cleveland lightweight is better than nothing..... (Cleveland lightweight?)

PS: I do plan to get my 42WLA motored Servi-Car out again this winter and I was just looking it over yesterday while rearranging my MC shed making room for my "new" '85 K100 BMW and dusting off the squirrel crap.

Comment

HC,
                  If you need room in that shed I have plenty of room for the 42 in mine

Comment

Working...
                  X