Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Harley Police Bikes VIN

Hi All,

I've heard that the motor-VIN of Harley police-bikes contains a "P". Can someone show me some sample pictures?
    Is there a source where I can read about the context between VIN and police-bikes?

Thank you
    Frank

Old H-D Police bikes have the same VIN numbers as regular civilian bikes, there is nothing in the VIN that indicates police use. What era re you trying to find info on?
    Robbie Knight Amca #2736

Comment

I'm looking for information for the period 1950 to 1960

Thank you
      Frank

Comment

Originally posted by FrankDM View Post

Thank you
        Frank
        The VIN has no specific use info during any of that period. The only known "P" in Panhead serial numbers refers to a very few factory ordered '49 models with a springer fork, (and those are not exclusively police models) which were very rare and the "P" does not appear in all of them. It is thought maybe in only the factory sidecar equipped models which were discontinued during the model year to use the new adjustable rake Hydra-Glide. Bikes with a "P" designation existing could likely be counted on one hand, the number of police bikes shipped was nearly 50% of all production.
        Robbie Knight Amca #2736

Comment

Thank you very much for the detailed explanation.
          Frank

Comment

Originally posted by FrankDM View Post

Thank you
            Frank

I have photos of two P-stamped Panheads from that period but the SNs look fake. One is 57FLP3+++ and it was a police bike according to what the seller told a prospective buyer. He was going to buy it until he couldn’t find info about the P. I explained how some characters did not look consistent with factory stamping.

The other one is 58FLHP2+++. I can’t recall if the seller tried to justify its P but again several characters were not consistent with factory stamping.

Bruce Palmer’s 37–64 SE contains SNs of a couple of 50s police production models. One is a 51FL and another is a 56FLE. Factory photos show no P on either number boss.

Regarding 49 Pan SNs with P for springer, I have photos of several that may be authentic. But a while ago on eBay there was a basket case with its P in the wrong position. The seller said it indicated springer but apparently he was unaware that one of the 1949 model layout sheets directed the P be stamped immediately after the last sequence character. For example 49F1000P. Also the basket case P was normal size whereas the factory P was larger and some of his other characters weren’t consistent with factory stamping either. The fake SN was 49FP5+++.
            Eric

Comment

Working...
            X