info on Cannonball Baker Neracar cross country trip

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• info on Cannonball Baker Neracar cross country trip

I have read that there is a story about Cannonball doing a cross country ride on a Neracar, it say's in his own words. I thought this would be fun reading, but I have tried several times and I can not find it on the net, any ideas where I might be able to find the story ? thanks Tom

http://justacarguy.blogspot.com/2015...after-his.html

When I click on the highlighted link just below the first set of three photos it just takes you to the modern cannonball site, maybe the story is there but I couldn't find it.
    Bob Rice #6738

Comment

I looked around the internet and most everything I found seemed to point back to an article posted on the modern Cannonball website, just as BigLakeBob said in his post. I went all through their website and couldn't find it either. The article seems to have been titled "How I Crossed America on a Neracar for Less Than $20" and I think they had it available at one time, but it's not there now. You could try reaching out to the site and see if they can repost it or provide you a copy. His email is Jason@motorcyclecannonball.com. If you get a copy please share, I'd like to read it too.
      Eric Olson
      Membership #18488

Comment

This turned up in about 5 seconds of searching. But being in an auction listing it is certainly suspect.
        https://www.mecum.com/lots/LV0119-36...925-ner-a-car/
        Robbie Knight Amca #2736

Comment

right on guys, thanks I well try contacting them and see what happens. If I can come up with it, I well share.

Comment

Originally posted by Tom Lovejoy View Post
            I have read that there is a story about Cannonball doing a cross country ride on a Neracar, it say's in his own words. I thought this would be fun reading, but I have tried several times and I can not find it on the net, any ideas where I might be able to find the story ? thanks Tom
            Tom, I seem to recall an article in an earlier 'Antique Motorcycle' magazine that covered the Neracar (both American, and British) and had references to articles from early motorcycle trade mags that quoted Erwin Baker about the Neracar. I do remember reading that Maldwyn Jones (the Schebler trouble-shooter of those days) saying he didn't like the Neracar and didn't think it was well engineered. You know that Erwin Baker would never say anything bad about a motorcycle, or automobile he was paid to ride/drive so his opinions are going to biased I remember the old timers in the AMCA loved Neracars, and they traded for a premium price because they were fun to ride. Bud Cox said in the late 60's and into the 70's a Neracar was close to an Indian 4 in value, and way above a knucklehead In those days, AMCA members would share their bikes with other members at the National meets.
            Eric Smith
            AMCA #886

Comment

Some 30 plus years ago I got a line on a person, Al Cechinni? from Wappinger Falls NY selling off bikes because of health. He had a beautiful 41 ULH I missed but picked up a 7100 mile Chief with sidecar, went back for a 34 VLD police bike and 2 plus partially restored KJs plus a load of KJ parts inc. spare KJ motor. The only bike he wanted to keep till the end was his Neracar. Anyone on here know of Al? He was heavily involved with the Empire Chapter back then.
              D. A. Bagin #3166 AKA Panheadzz 440 48chief W/sidecar 57fl 57flh 58fl 66m-50 68flh 70xlh

Comment

Wow! The '90s were the open window for some great deals, Dave, and you sure did well. I'm sure it made Al feel good that a true enthusiast was getting some of his bikes.
                Eric Smith
                AMCA #886

Comment

Originally posted by D.A.Bagin View Post
                  Some 30 plus years ago I got a line on a person, Al Cechinni? from Wappinger Falls NY selling off bikes because of health. He had a beautiful 41 ULH I missed but picked up a 7100 mile Chief with sidecar, went back for a 34 VLD police bike and 2 plus partially restored KJs plus a load of KJ parts inc. spare KJ motor. The only bike he wanted to keep till the end was his Neracar. Anyone on here know of Al? He was heavily involved with the Empire Chapter back then.
                  I remember Al from long, long ago attendance at Empire Chapter events.
                  As to the Cannonball Baker/Neracar article I can provide a copy to any of the posters in this thread but cannot upload a copy as it is too large.
                  Send me a message if you want a copy.

AFJ

Comment

Originally posted by AFJ View Post

I remember Al from long, long ago attendance at Empire Chapter events.
                    As to the Cannonball Baker/Neracar article I can provide a copy to any of the posters in this thread but cannot upload a copy as it is too large.
                    Send me a message if you want a copy.

AFJ

Just sent you a PM requesting the story. Thanks!
                    Eric Olson
                    Membership #18488

Comment

Thanks for all the info and replies guys, I sent Jason asking about it. But he was busy and said his site had been messed up by hackers. Thanks Eric, I would really like to read the story., sent yo a message.

Comment

Tom, did you get a copy?
                        AFJ

Comment

No Al, got mixed up. I sent you my e mail address. Please send it to me when you get a chance, thank you very much, Tom here it is again Tom_Lovejoy@Hotmail.com

Comment

thanks everyone, I got the story and really enjoyed reading it. I have ridden some of Cannonballs route on both modern and antique machines. I can hardly imagine doing it on a Neracar in those days at that time of the year, my gosh that Cannonball was something ! He talks of some hard going and of really cold freezing conditions and the little towns along the way. The crowds gathered to see the strange little machine and crossing the continental divide on it, amazing and fun reading ! He must of been impressed with the little machine, because he started his own dealership in LA. shortly after that. He seemed to think they would sell quite good, it is a pity they did not take off. I wonder how bad he lost because of it ? anyways I found it very interesting and enjoyed it, so thanks again.

Comment

Working...
                            X