UK tour 5

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• UK tour 5

Left Droitwich south toward Poole fora 4 hr ferry to Jersey. the day was beautiful for a country ride. thanks to Stuart who leads the way, he lives on Maui but was born & raised in England,the other 3 of us just ride and enjoy.The ride to AMESBURY took us tru Statford on the Avon to the home of William Shakespere and impresive house but only Stuart had every read any of this William guy, so we went to a pub in Willian Shakespere's town. then south on to Amesbury a place to stay the night,just so happen the inn we stayed in,was the same inn the Beatles stayed in while making A HARD DAYS NIGHT. I asked how far to STONEHINGE and the reply was just a 30 minutewalk from here, while few locals seemed excited about it, the next morning when we topped the hill on the bikes for our first look at it...chicken skin rushed over my whole body,with the theme of 2001 SPACE ODESSYE drumming in my mind.. a hint ontouring let your bank and credit card know.my bank checking card stopped because after 18 yrs basically in Hawaii ,started showing up in the UK. and forget trvler checks,your bank machine cost less and gives a better exchange rate,and machines are as easy to find as in the states. Then on to Jersey.a small island 14 miles off the coast of France,where when we arrived it was BATTLE OF THE FLOWERS DAY sort of a small ROSE BOWL parade while it was not our hero welcome we were novel enough to be interviewed by the local weekly paper, because with a Triumph in front,2 big twins with full on parade litesin the middle and a SUZUKI behind we were told we looked like a Brittish destroyer 2 US aircraft carriers and a Japanese kamakazi going down the road, OK now one last hilite over all the other hilites. we went to the junkyard on Jersey just yo look for parts and such no luck but on the way down the hill in a drive i spotted an old bike and a retired looking gentleman puttering a round,hitting the brakes turn aroun and 4 bikes pulling in his drive made him a little aprehensive but soon he warmed right up to show us his [all you American bike only guys can look away now] 49&47 SUNBEAM,47Francis Barnett &51BSA Bantam put away inthe back of his garage,his 49 was his ridder and started on the first kick when asked todo so. I CANNOT EXSPRESS MY GRATITUDE TO THE PEOPLE OF THE UK AND THEIR BRILLANT HOSPITALITY THANK-YOU gray

Sounds like a very enjoyable and memorable trip. Thanks Gray, for taking the time to share your experience.

Comment

I'll second that - it's interesting reading of others adventures.

Comment

Working...
      X