Help with a Harley 1915-29 Pocket Valve book please

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help with a Harley 1915-29 Pocket Valve book please

Dear All, I need help with a forthcoming book on these bikes.

Bruce Linsday has asked me to write an identification and restoration guide to the 1915-29 pocket valve Harleys and I'm perhaps a third through it. We are still waiting for Mark Masa's definitive workshop manual, so this is an interim effort of perhaps 150 pages aimed to be out in the middle of this year. You will know that AMCA members have written detailed 1929-64 Harley manuals, but nothing earlier, and the experts are getting older while the judging statistics show the average member is interested in later bikes. There's no money in it, but the time is right to get that knowledge out in print.

The layout is spiral bound landscape pages to allow full page bike pictures. We have a printer and an ISBN. The first third of the book is an overview of the business environment, production numbers and models, engine number examples and summarised technical changes. Then two full page photos per year of good restored or unrestored bikes, with more technical detail of changes from the sales brochures etc. Then each major assembly such as forks, gearboxes, engines is treated in more detail, with pictures of key items and restoration tips. I've Emailed Mark Masa and Jon Neuman for assistance, and have had great input from Tom Feeser, Terry Marsh, Bruce Linsday, Pete Reeves, and Dutch members Johan Wijers and .Jan van der Werff who all have enviable collections and technical knowledge. Bill Wood has assisted with Cannonball Run photos and AMCA calendar pictures.

For the main central section I'm looking for two full page photos per model year, plus four on the back cover and two on the front - presumably 1915 and 1929 - meaning I'm looking for pictures of 36 restored and unrestored machines that might qualify for our Winners Circle. If you think your machine qualifies, and you'd like to see it in print, please contact me. All contributions will be credited. Likewise for any pictures of tanks, toolboxes, chainguards, forks, engine numbers, generators, gearboxes, headlamps, mudguards, striping details etc that illustrate particular changes, or restoration tips for others to benefit from.

If you would like to contribute to any particular year discussion, or major assembly description, please let me know and I'll Email you a draft section for comment. Likewise, if you know of other people or other bikes, please contact the owners and see if they would like to be involved.

Best regards, Steve Slocombe, vlheaven@aol.com
Working...
X