No announcement yet.

~another motorcycle museum fire~

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

This is an interesting discussion and my real life experience may shed some light on the questions posed re museums.

For more than 20 years I have been a museum professional. I work for one of the world’s larger museums with some 40 million objects in our collection and 1.2 million square feet of facility on a 5 acre campus. This isn’t meant to impress but rather to convey I am privileged to be both senior in the industry AND at a really big place. The end result is that I get to “see” more of the industry than many people. I also attend trade conferences and regularly meet with colleagues worldwide.

There are LOTS of things about museums that most people find confusing and contrary to their belief about museums. Much of this has to do with the word itself and the fact that museums are among the most trusted organizations in Western society. Much like a library; they are seen as keepers of “truth” and purveyors of neat stuff. But, this isn’t really all a museum is . . . there’s a lot that goes on behind the scenes that helps differentiate between collections of stuff, historic sites, and full-on educational/research institutions with a heck of a show room (aka big museums).

The biggest hurdle is where on the spectrum a museum lies. For example, within the United States and Canada there are something like 35,000 "museums" or historic sites/houses. That’s an incredible number and many are very small. The vast majority of museums are 1 to 3 person affairs. Many exist within a building originally owned or gifted by the founder of the museum. Most of the motorcycle museums we run into are like this – they are collections that grew into something else.

The big cut involves accreditation. Only 1,100 museums in the US and Canada are accredited by the American Association of Museums (AAM). To attain professional accreditation, you go through a massive external review every 10 years. My colleagues and I just completed our 10 year renewal in May 2020 – and it took us a year to go through.

To put this in perspective, AAM reviewed 71 museums in 2020 and only 45 received accreditation (and my own organization was one of those 45). There are lots of reasons museums are not accredited or receive another categorization. So, it doesn’t mean anything is wrong. Another way to think of this is the difference between a chiropractor and an orthopedic surgeon specializing in back surgery. Both work on your back, both are doctors, but one is more strictly licensed/trained and is trusted to conduct surgery/prescribe drugs. You access both as needed, but one you REALLY trust to get it right.

At present, about 4 percent of the 1,100 accredited museums in US/Canada are specialty museums (military, transportation, etc.).

The differences really start coming in when you get to management philosophy. An accredited museum has much more stringent collections policies. These policies dictate what may come into the collection, the process for deaccessioning, and a strict prohibition against conducting appraisals, employee trading/profiting, etc. Various positions within museums also have professional bodies that set ethics standards, etc. Similarly, most transportation museums grew out of a private collection someone didn’t want to sell but did want a tax break against when settling an estate or creating a trust. As such, they are collections – but not necessarily true museums. A great example is the Volo Auto Museum in Volo, Illinois. It is incorporated as a museum for a small collection of custom TV/Movie cars . . . the remainder of the “collection” is for sale and it’s really a big collector car dealership with an antique mall. But, it is a museum in the strictest legal sense. Confusing for sure.

Now that I’ve gone on too long; let’s shed some light on the statements/questions posted here about collections, insurance and fire.

There may or may not be an insurance payout equal to the value of the collection. Most professional museums for fiscal audit purposes value their collection at $1 and the collection is NOT insured item by item but rather in a general sense. Insurance is for different reasons in the industry. The most common object by object is for offsite presentation (ie art traveling to another museum for an exhibition). Some of those policies are downright interesting and VERY high dollar. There's a reason the Golden Funerary Mask of King Tut did not travel North American in 2007 . . . and most of it was the insurance value. Most collections of stuff labeled as a museum DO value each object. This is common for private military museums, aviation, and a lot of auto museums. So, it really comes down to how the management operated the facility and this is true of almost all North American and European countries.

This is way more common with motorcycle museums than people realize due to the easy nature in which large numbers of valuable bikes can be concentrated under one roof and the huge number of combustibles each presents. Even drained of fluids, old paint and tyres are amazing pyrotechnic displays at full fire temperatures. The biggest loss of motorbikes to fire in recent years was the National Motorcycle Museum fire in 2003 just outside Birmingham, England. About 300 bikes were lost. Whilst some burnt; more than ½ were damaged by the water used to suppress the fire. More on that in a moment.

Most professional museums have strict collecting policies. These policies make it difficult to accession (formally accept) objects and even harder to de-accession (sell) objects from the collection. The later part is what makes insuring vehicles different/difficult. Not impossible; difficult. Most collections of stuff do not have these types of policies and freely trade/sell items as they see fit. This is especially true for transportation museums which often insure their vehicles to take to demonstrations/rallies/etc. As such, the collection is seen as more “transient” and often under insured compared to true market value for replacement. Hence when they do burn down . . . they usually max their payout pretty fast.

Most professional museums employ professional curators and collections managers specifically trained in those items/types of items. As such, they evaluate and consider all these aspects. Most collections managers are charged with presenting plans to safeguard collections that include storage space grading and fire suppression. This same level of professionalism is VERY difficult for transportation museums as it is hard to set a qualification bar and meet salaries for true professionals. For example, I am a graduate of University Birmingham with specialization in the archaeology of transportation and heritage management (the UK version of Museum Studies). I had three classmates. You read that right – three. Total. Before the programme went T.U. a few years ago due to low enrollment; it averaged 3 graduates a year. In it’s roughly 30 year history – that is less than 100 qualified graduates. Leicester had a similar program of similar size and the US has only one Industrial Archaeology program which touches on transport. So, right there, finding qualified curators for a transportation museum means you’re likely hiring historians or folks with a keen interest in vehicles. Whether they are trained professionals in that discipline or in museum studies is a whole different matter. Not to mention, most transportation museums barely earn a profit and cannot afford top professionals. None of this means the folks running these museums are poor at their jobs. Again, like the Chiropractor or the Surgeon . . .these are not poorly educated people nor indifferent.

All of this means many motorcycle and car museums reflect a single collector and often don’t have the resources or training to care for the collection/facility/programming in the same way as really big professional museums. The end result is that protocols and systems to prevent catastrophic loss are limited in smaller transportation museums and the destruction tends to be total.

However, don’t think big museums are exempt from burning to the ground. Most major museums are in HUGE historic buildings that have limited or no fire suppression. If a fire starts – it is devastating. One of the biggest recent losses was Brazil’s National Museum, which burnt to the walls in autumn 2018. And, most museums are two paychecks away from financial straights instead of one pay check like smaller places. So, recovery is very difficult even with insurance. Add in the disruption of COVID and it's a perfect storm.

With regards to fire suppression -- museum professional love and loathe fire suppression. In most cases buildings constructed prior to modern fire codes are exempt from retrofit with active, wet suppression or sprinklers. I have been involved with a retrofit as well as a full dry system install and it is eye-poppingly expensive. If the museum is on the ball; they also redesign their storage systems at the same time so that if the sprinklers do activate there is a buffer to protect as much as possible. This is where it gets more fun as there are only a couple of makers of museum grade storage cabinetry in the world . . . so now you're both paying and ordering long in advance. It's a lot of moving parts and our management meetings can be quite interesting (well, if you're a geeky museum person wondering how to preserve things for centuries).

The honest truth is that wet suppression more or less destroys the items under preservation -- and often causes as much destruction as the fire. Once the sprinklers kick in; the damage is done and the organization is in recovery mode. Even with full insurance and a good team it is difficult to recover from the loss of permanent collections.

Comment

Interesting news to me. I am not a slave to Face Book or twitter so glad it was posted here.
      #7558 Take me on and you take on the whole trailer park!

Comment

[QUOTE=chuckthebeatertruck;n280901]This is an interesting discussion and my real life experience may shed some light on the questions posed re museums.

Thank You for the ground floor insight Chuck. Never understood why the Motorcycle Museum's in particular, didn't pay a night watchman to babysit those treasure's. If i had the opportunity, i would pay them to do the shift--haha.

*M.A.D.*

* Warning...Not For The Faint of Heart!!!
        --------> https://www.facebook.com/karol.burge...92541100828213 <---------
        Last edited by JoJo357; 01-27-2021, 05:41 PM.

Comment

A post on the Brough Superior Riders Facebook page, apparently from the TOP Museum, says that the fire was caused by an overheated TV monitor. Also stated is the intent to rebuild the Museum, it seems the restaurant and the cable lift part was not damaged.
          While the Indian motorcycles in the "current" theme display were saved, the 2019 display of Brough and Brough Superior motorcycles, still in the Museum at the time of the fire were severely damaged, A video from the first post in this thread shows at least 13 Brough or Brough Superior motorcycles - some with sidecars - in that display ranging from a 1915 W.E. Brough flat twin to a 2016 Brough Superior. Since the current Brough Superior Club Spares Service list is 17 pages long (single spaced), a great variety of parts for many of these damaged bikes would be available. But parts like aluminum alloy crankcases are usually melted in severe fires and so any rebuild might well be impractical.

Comment

Quote from earlier post.......
            With regards to fire suppression -- museum professional love and loathe fire suppression. In most cases buildings constructed prior to modern fire codes are exempt from retrofit with active, wet suppression or sprinklers. I have been involved with a retrofit as well as a full dry system install and it is eye-poppingly expensive. If the museum is on the ball; they also redesign their storage systems at the same time so that if the sprinklers do activate there is a buffer to protect as much as possible. This is where it gets more fun as there are only a couple of makers of museum grade storage cabinetry in the world . . . so now you're both paying and ordering long in advance. It's a lot of moving parts and our management meetings can be quite interesting (well, if you're a geeky museum person wondering how to preserve things for centuries).

The honest truth is that wet suppression more or less destroys the items under preservation -- and often causes as much destruction as the fire. Once the sprinklers kick in; the damage is done and the organization is in recovery mode. Even with full insurance and a good team it is difficult to recover from the loss of permanent collections.

Chuck,
            This new building should have had some type of sprinkler system and no harm would be done to any car or motorcycle by the water. Looks to me they had plenty of funds to build such an extravagant building. Will see if they learned anything from this but the cow is out of the barn, as they say, and priceless motorcycles are gone forever.

Comment

The rate of vintage motorcycles being destroyed by fire lately is really a bit much. I believe around 100 were destroyed in the Paradise Ca fire and I know of several that were destroyed in the Creek fire up in Shaver Lake area this summer. I think it was the largest wild fire in Ca. history. The big fire in England a few years ago and this other museum fire in Austria.

Comment

Our system dumps 40 gallons of water per minute per head. An average activation between fire doors affects 20-30 heads. The math works out to 800-1200 gallons per minute per average area with the flow continuing until manually shut down. The shut down does not happen fast, nor can the water easily drain away. The structure as well as the collections need careful checking. If there is a long activation, we must do safety checks before blindly running in to move items and start the preservation process. This means hours or days pass.

The other thing to keep in mind is that sprinklers activate off heat, not smoke. So, to pop a head bulb 20 feet up . . .the fire is already blazing and consuming something at a rapid clip. If that is chemical in nature, wet systems need to dump enough water to lower the temperature and blanket snuff. That takes a lot of water over a longer period of time than many expect.

When you dump thousands of gallons on anything for minutes at a time it gets into every single nook and cranny. So, whilst the physical item may look ok, lingering damage and water infiltration make life difficult. From mold to corrosion, even vehicles are affected. If the system is dry pipe, you'd be awfully surprised at the scale released. And, if the temperature is low . . .

Considering most museums don't have a second collections facility, its real hard to move a collection in a rapid manner after a fire for drying and restoration. So, by the time you can do so, and the investigation is done, there is a lot of damage seen and unseen. Some of that damage won't present for months or years.

As for watch people, few museums can afford to employ sufficient numbers. Even then, they have to check, alert, and vacate. They aren't brigade personnel and our highest obligation is life safety.

Then, you have to hope the alerts are correct and no one gets confused on the area affected.

Notre Dame burnt a couple of years ago because the alerts confused the watch people and they had to physically check. Notre Dame takes five to seven minutes to cross one secure area to another. So, one tiny mistake equals many minutes of inaction. By the time it was all figured out ten minutes passed and it was impossible to extinguish.

in my own facility, we have 1.2 million square. 900k square is secure and requires multiple door entries. It's a solid 7-10 minutes end to end and floor to floor to walk. Even with central stations it takes a few minutes. Cameras fail fast.

i am not trying to bust balls here, just sharing facts from 20 years in the museum industry.

like I said, a lot of my day to day is confusing and down right contradictory to what many people believe about museums and collections preservation.

Comment

Working...
                X