Vintage plates and toll by mail.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Vintage plates and toll by mail.

I have a question for anyone out there that the state they live in has "Toll by mail" on bridges and highways. I live about 60 miles from NYC and run vintage plates on all my old bikes. My plates have only 4-5 numbers on them and no prefix letters as cars and trucks do. I have received numerous toll violations because ANY VEHICLE that has the same four numbers at the end of their plate regardless of having letters as a prefix seem to come to me. If they have XYZ-1234 and my bike has only 1234 I get the toll violation. This has happened 8-10 times in the last 18 months and doesn't matter if it is a car, truck, trailer etc. It is a real pain as if I do not respond they revoke MY registration purposes. Seems that there is no fix to this. I have seen pics of every type vehicle on the violations and if the last 4 numbers match mine I win the toll. Anyone else have this problem or am I special??
    D. A. Bagin #3166 AKA Panheadzz 440 48chief W/sidecar 57fl 57flh 58fl 66m-50 68flh 70xlh

You are not special, the same thing was happening with me. Since I have all my bikes on the NY EZ Pass website it was easy for me to see it every month. It happened about a year ago, I disputed it and got a refund. Then it happened again this Summer, I disputed it and got my money back. Then one more time this Fall, dispute is currently open. I use the EZ Pass transponder when crossing bridges with my bikes, so I said screw it and just removed the '46 four digit License plate number from their data base. It should never happen again.

I have never received anything from DMV about this, just EZ Pass.

Comment

I don't run vintage plates, but I have had this problem in Illinois on ez pass. Both cars and bikes.

Comment

Here I was thinking I was special. One thing is, I do not have an EZ-Pass in my name. In NYC and the surrounding area including interstate 87 and all toll bridges, tunnels etc. what they have done to supposedly reduce jams at the bridges, tunnels etc. is no more toll booths. If you do not have EZ-Pass they scan your plate and send you the toll bill in the mail according to the registrant on record to that plate number. The thing is they seem not to care about the prefix letters and only the last 4 numbers on the plate. I'll bet if they send it out to ALL the people that happen to have "1234" as the last numbers, let's say 100, I bet a percentage just pay it and don't bother for the 4-9 bucks to fight with them or sit on hold for an hour to get it resolved. Not a bad scam. If you do not pay it or call and fight it they revoke your registration.
        Last edited by D.A.Bagin; 12-30-2020, 05:23 PM.
        D. A. Bagin #3166 AKA Panheadzz 440 48chief W/sidecar 57fl 57flh 58fl 66m-50 68flh 70xlh

Comment

That sucks, I live in Mass. have year of manufacture 3 digit plate, so far no problems, thanks for heads up

Comment

Hey ...I'm in the midst of dealing with this exact situation right now! I submitted a photo of my vintage bike plate, and explained the situation, but they just keep sending the bill with threats. Something needs to change, clearly.

Comment

Interesting how with out an EZPass account it is going back to your registration. Foul Play is afoot for sure. Though it is nice to not have to stop to pay a toll. I wish I had better advice for you, now that I removed the plate # from my EZPass account, maybe I will start getting bills from DMV!?!?!?

And you are Special, we all are!?!?!?!??!

Comment

In Illinois, ez pass also covers the pay by plate system. They integrated the system to make it "easier". You don't have to have a transponder, just the account. The transponder comes in handy for interstate tollways. Indiana and Ohio are gated, for example.

I have some of the vehicles on pay by plate and some on the transponder. Registrations in IL, VT, and OH. The system can handle that, but can't seem to actually match plates ;-)

The closure of toll booths during covid combined with mail delays made it particularly fun in the summer.

Comment

EZPass NY just sent me the latest refund for incorrectly charging my account in October for someone else's tolls. We will now see if they start applying it to my NYS Registration!?!?!?! Just figured I would post my update.

Comment

I would never have EZ Pass. I have had nothing but trouble with them and their false accusations over the years. You are at their mercy whenever you receive a violation and all you can do is send them a defense by mail which is more often then not denied. If you do not pay the fine and outrageous administrative cost they have the authority to ask for revocation of your license by your state. I live close enough to the Pa. Turnpike that I would use it on occasion, now the Pa Turnpike Authority has announced if you do not have EZ Pass and you do toll by plate you will be assessed a 45% surcharge. It is not clear who will get the surcharge. Meanwhile the Pa Turnpike has laid off almost all of the toll collectors and blamed Covid. Getting to Oley for me is not easy without the TP but it can be done and it will only add time to my travel. Being retired I am usually in no big hurry.

Comment

Working...
                    X