Clincher tire pressure

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Clincher tire pressure

What are people running for tire pressure on clinchers? My original owner's manual (circa 1927) says "... old style 3.5 inch high pressure casings front should be inflated to 30 to 40 pounds and 40 to 50 on the rear. On the new 3.85 inch Balloon tires 20 to 25 pounds in the front and 25 to 30 in the rear". I have Coker 3.85 Balloon front and rear and am running 30 in the front and 35 in the rear. A friend says that's much too low and should be at least 40 to 45 to keep the front from coming off at speed. I called Coker and their tech said 60 pounds. I think that's a stock CYA (cover your mule) answer. If that's the recommended pressure why bother with tires and tubes, just sell solid blocks of rubber ... Perry

Re: Clincher tire pressure?

Originally posted by Perry Ruiter
    What are people running for tire pressure on clinchers? My original owner's manual (circa 1927) says "... old style 3.5 inch high pressure casings front should be inflated to 30 to 40 pounds and 40 to 50 on the rear. On the new 3.85 inch Balloon tires 20 to 25 pounds in the front and 25 to 30 in the rear". I have Coker 3.85 Balloon front and rear and am running 30 in the front and 35 in the rear. A friend says that's much too low and should be at least 40 to 45 to keep the front from coming off at speed. I called Coker and their tech said 60 pounds. I think that's a stock CYA (cover your mule) answer. If that's the recommended pressure why bother with tires and tubes, just sell solid blocks of rubber ... Perry
    On the 2.25 x24 clincher Dunlop "Fort" twin stud tires on my 1927 250 cc Levis, I run at least 35 lb cold pressure with the bike and rider together totalling under 500 lb - or 250 lb per tire. Have been running at this pressure for over 20 years without a problem. The bike's top speed is only 45 mph. The tires now on are 2001 manufacture and they are much superior as to the roadholding compared the tires I was using before 2001. one of these was 1960 manufacture, the other 1940 manufacture.

All that keeps a clincher on the rim is the internal pressure in the tube.

AFJ

Comment

Perry,
      Running 3.85 X 20 Cokers on my JD. Had one heck of a time initially after total restoration. To start with I ran 30 PSI in front and rear, spun both ripping off valve stems. Luckily the test pilot nor the bike were injured badly. I learned the hard way to scuff the powder coating off of the bead contact area of the rim, installed friction tape (sticky type) around the circumfrence of the rim to help the tube grab. Also used 21" tubes, 19" wouldn't work for me. Then........got the wife to put 60 psi in front and rear while i found something important to do outside of the shop.
      I agree, they ride hard, but if your going to run Cokers and want to stay upright.......run 60 psi. johnny

Comment

I've always heard to run 50 PSI in the clinchers which is what I've done with no problems for the last 8 years or so on my '20 HD Sport model. Fiction tape sounds like a good idea. Johnny can you send your wife down to pull the motor out of my '35 while I find something important to do out of the garage? Can't get my wife to stay in the garage long enough to get greasy. LOL.

Louie

Comment

Hey Louie,
          I wouldn't ask her to do something as simple as pulling a motor. Heck anyone can do that! Got to make 'em feel important when they join you in the shop. Mine specializes in initial testing of all rotating equipment (facinated by fly cutters in the mill), maximum capacity usage of the press, and of course anything related to Coker tires. Glad she shares my interest in the bikes! Hopefully see you in Birmingham. Working on the Pope but it won't be ready by then. johnny

Comment

Thanks to those who supplied their pressures. I'll probably go up a little in pressure ... Perry

Comment

mileage of Coker tires

How many miles do you guys get out of a set of Coker clincher tires? I've heard some people say that the white ones wear out in 500 miles. At $500 a pair, that is a dollar per mile!

I have some japanese 26 x 3 clinchers on my Rudge. They work great at 30-35psi. But they fit very tight on the rim. I can't spin them around the rim with no air in the tubes.

Be careful with friction tape. If it touches the tube, it will wear a hole in the tube very quickly.....

best of luck
              Pete

Comment

Working...
              X