1927 Harley model J intake manifold removal

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1927 Harley model J intake manifold removal

Whats the secret or should I say the procedure to remove the intake manifold from a 1927 J model Harley? I want to replace gaskets with Peek material and replace. Thanks,

Hi Harold, of course you will need a wrench that fits the manifold nuts. Loosen them ccw. You might have to tap in the manifold to move the seals and nuts toward each other, then should be able to get the manifold out. Worst case loosen the cylinder base nuts, but I would try to leave those if possible so as not to damage the base gaskets. One other operation to consider: check your manifold at the area of the seal. Over time due to vibration, fretting, and nut tightening, the manifold can develop grooves which make it difficult for any seal to work. You can have the manifold spigots trued up and the seals made to match the new diameter. Dan
    Dan Margolien
    Yankee Chapter National Meet July 31/August 1 2020 at the TERRYVILLE Fairgounds, Terryville CT.
    Www.yankeechapter.org
    Pocketvalve@gmail.com

Comment

Thanks Dan, So to be clear on each side of the manifold there are two nuts. One I believe holds the manifold the other is the spigot? Loosen both? Then try tapping with a rubber mallet to break loose?
      Thanks,

Comment

This is the manifold for my 1916J which I made PEEK seals for; prior to turning the spigots round, and true. A lathe is critical to do this job Actually, this is the first manifold I did because Mark Masa informed me that mine was a later year. Prince that he is, Mark had the correct manifold and made it available. Another advantage of membership in the AMCA.

moe.JPG

Eric Smith
        AMCA #886

Comment

Harold, you can see in Eric’s photo how, after loosening the nuts, you might need to tap them towards each other. You might need to tap on the manifold towards a cylinder, to get the seals to move further onto the manifold. At some point you can move one side of the manifold into the cylinder and angle it to get it out. As Eric shows there the seals sit, i call that the spigot. If you need help getting the manifold trued up and peek seals, contact Danny Weil at laughingindian@msn.com
          Dan Margolien
          Yankee Chapter National Meet July 31/August 1 2020 at the TERRYVILLE Fairgounds, Terryville CT.
          Www.yankeechapter.org
          Pocketvalve@gmail.com

Comment

Thanks Dan, So what is the other nut on the threaded piece that theses thread too? And those don't need to be loosened to move the manifold? Sorry for the ignorance, please have patience. Thanks,

Comment

Harley-Davidson called them 'inlet packing nuts' and they shouldn't be disturbed unless they are leaking. They are usually very tight, and hard to remove.
              Eric Smith
              AMCA #886

Comment

Working...
              X