Forum Upgrades

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Forum Upgrades

Just opened the forum for the first time since the upgrade was done. (11/28/2020). Fantastic!! I can log in without jumping through the usual work-around-hoops.
    The pictures in the old photo section are now visible without clicking, enlarging etc.
    Thanks!

Great news droptopford. Do you use a tablet or smart phone to access? That is what I am interest to hear, how those member's do with the new format. I know it was difficult to see the login on my iPad.

Mike Love
    AMCA Forum

Comment

I-pad here shows full size images, nicely done! thanks!
      Pisten Bully is Harry Roberts in Vermont.

Comment

The big pictures are a "BIG" improvement. I think we all appreciate the work that goes on behind what we see and read on this forum. Thank you to everyone that makes this forum work.
        Eric Smith
        AMCA #886

Comment

I am using my iPad without any issues. Big thanks to Jon Radermacher for his effort in bringing the AMCA Forum format up to date.
          Richard Spagnolli
          AMCA #6153

Comment

Originally posted by ihrescue View Post
            Great news droptopford. Do you use a tablet or smart phone to access? That is what I am interest to hear, how those member's do with the new format. I know it was difficult to see the login on my iPad.

Mike Love
            AMCA Forum
            I'm on standard size desk-top PC. The problem for me wasn't seeing the login screen. The problem was that after logging in, the main page would not recognize my log in. I always had to go to the 'what's new' tab and then click on 'read more' in order to see pics etc.
            It all works perfectly now. And the big pics are great. Thanks!

Comment

Just a test to see if I still have my avatar, Folks!

Lotsa bells and whistles! (I didn't know I "owned" the American Carburetor group; What's a "group"?)

Re-posting pics I previously uploaded looks like a real chore now, unless there are some filters to the 'photo album' I cannot find?

I guess it doesn't matter, as the vast majority of them seem seem to have disappeared...

....Cotten
              PS: My profile still shows my avatar...

PPS: Has anyone noticed that if you drag your cursor to the series of blocks under everyone's avatar and name, it says something like "is on a distinguished road" or "is an unknown quantity at this point"?

Mine just says "reputation0". Glad someone's counting.

And where did the fakebook and tweeter buttons come from? Will the AMCA make money from those?

Hope so.

PPPS: The search function is a whole lot better!
              Last edited by T. Cotten; 11-29-2020, 04:13 PM.
              AMCA #776
              Dumpster Diver's Motto: Seek,... and Ye Shall Find!

Comment

Getting used to the upgrade, no problems. Great viewing full pictures. Thanks. I see we now have a like button. I guess it was decided to not have the dislike button, probably good idea!! I see that all times are GMT-5 which according to my search is US EST zone, doesn't matter but it seems to be an hour off. Thanks for all the efforts in upgrading the system. Can't wait to post a picture.
                Last edited by BigLakeBob; 11-29-2020, 05:38 PM. Reason: spelling
                Bob Rice #6738

Comment

Originally posted by BigLakeBob View Post
                  Getting used to the upgrade, no problems. Great viewing full pictures. Thanks. I see we now have a like button. I guess it was decided to not have the unlike button, probably good idea!! I see that all times are GMT-5 which according to my search is US EST zone, doesn't matter but it seems to be an hour off. Thanks for all the efforts in upgrading the system. Can't wait to post a picture.
                  What's a "like button" do, BLB?

I can't find it.

....Cotten
                  PS: And how did you get to keep your avatar?
                  Last edited by T. Cotten; 11-29-2020, 05:57 PM.
                  AMCA #776

Comment

Well; it certainly looks . . . DIFFERENT.

Trying to figure out how to SEARCH the forums and postings (Lot of good information there),

Time and use will tell.

Thanks for all you work.

Comment

How do you post pictures?
                      Bob Selph
                      1933VC/1934LT Sidecar
                      1940 Sport Scout
                      AMCA#15215

Comment

Now I am "on a distinguished road", Folks!

(Don't know what changed, but it sounds better than "reputation0", even if it was my style.)

The search engine improvement makes the upgrade well worth while, but everything else is awkward: "Latest Activity" is nothing like an 'activity stream'.
                        If you filter it for 'today', nothing comes up.

Uploading a pic was a puzzle.
                        If I used the wrong 'upload attachment' button, it warned me when I posted that I had to upload an attachment.
                        So I had to look all over for a second 'upload attachment' button, and it worked.

I still lost hundreds of pics that were in my 'photo album', which I repost quite often. At least they survived in the posts!

.....Cotten
                        PS: My avatar shows up everywhere except on my posts.
                        PPS: It appears I corrected my avatar, Folks!
                        At my 'profile', I deleted and re-uploaded the.jpg. Damn I'm vain.
                        Last edited by T. Cotten; 11-30-2020, 04:01 PM.
                        AMCA #776

Comment

Am I missing something, there does not seem to be a search function for the individual FORUMS?

Comment

Originally posted by T. Cotten View Post
                            Just a test to see if I still have my avatar, Folks!

Lotsa bells and whistles! (I didn't know I "owned" the American Carburetor group; What's a "group"?)

Re-posting pics I previously uploaded looks like a real chore now, unless there are some filters to the 'photo album' I cannot find?

I guess it doesn't matter, as the vast majority of them seem seem to have disappeared...

....Cotten
                            PS: My profile still shows my avatar...

PPS: Has anyone noticed that if you drag your cursor to the series of blocks under everyone's avatar and name, it says something like "is on a distinguished road" or "is an unknown quantity at this point"?

Mine just says "reputation0". Glad someone's counting.

And where did the fakebook and tweeter buttons come from? Will the AMCA make money from those?

Hope so.

PPPS: The search function is a whole lot better!
                            I suspect, or hope that the advanced photo file is somewhere Tom I just haven't located it yet. The way you used photos it took me a while to learn and was shared by Robbie and you with others.

The one thing that comes to my mind when using any vBulletin forum, and I am on somewhere between five and ten different ones, is I need to always get acclimated. They all seem to work differently. I think vBulletin was one of the very early on-line discussion forums. It was made by technical people to share and network with technical people. I think they like the technical clunky nature of things. Once you understand some of the logic of things its not so bad. It just trying to find you way into all the passages.

So I found that if you need to go back to the whole list of forums just hover over and click the AMCA symbol upper left and it will take you back.

I bet you AMCA doesn't get anything from Facebook or Twitter for having the connect buttons. It's just a standard these days.

Glad to hear you and others mention an improved search function. The vBulletin search again like many features is clunky for many of us because it relies on technical researcher methods. I had to go back and re-learn what the Boolean search methods are. There are many things we can learn to help us get the most out of this forum. One thing that is totally on us is, the ability to find stuff later depends on how well we describe things in our posts. We need to imagine how to drop those bread crumbs to create a trail back to where we were. Good strong key words and tags will bring us back. Often times some of the jargon and shortcut abbreviations may not be what we would put into a key word search. The vBulletin will tell you when you enter VL or JD - sorry there's to many of those two letters together to list them all. So we need to be specific in the titles of our posts and good descriptive key words in out posts so people can follow the trail back.

I have been spending most of my time helping get folks back on. The security protocol changed in the new version and has a hierarchy of things it cross checks with the main AMCA member data to make sure we only get members that log in. A couple things it checks are name, email and member number - people change emails and believe it or not people have member number changes. Or if they just added by mistake a character in any of these things and it doesn't match between the forum and the main member data then it denies the login. It like trying to find the proverbial 10 mm socket you dropped in your workshop.

I haven't noticed what you mention about dragging to the profile area yet.

Thanks for your observations.

Mike Love

Comment

Originally posted by bselph View Post
                              How do you post pictures?
                              I will need to revise the sticky we have on posting images because it is slightly different. Will get to that asap.

Mike Love
                              Last edited by ihrescue; 12-01-2020, 05:48 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X