Schebler DLX-36 float height

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Schebler DLX-36 float height

Does anyone know the correct float height for a Schebler DLX-36 carb? (Was used on 1928-? Chiefs.)

I've gone on the assumption that the 7/16" from the top of the bowl used with smaller 101 Scout carbs would be close enough, but maybe someone has access to the correct specs.

Thanks in advance,
    Bob Kelley

Bob!

I thought the spec for bronze bowl DLX Schebs was 11/32".

The sparse literature that's published seems to vary widely.

One thing I have noticed is that the need for split-hair accuracy of float adjustment diminishes when the buoyancy of the float increases to duplicate the original.

Good to hear from you again,

..Cotten

Comment

Cotten -- Thanks for the fast response!

I remember you well as a wealth of info and positivity at Virtual Indian ... hope all is well there and with you.

Our 101 shop manual lists 7/16" as the float height for the Schebler DLX model used with the 45" 101 Scouts (I don't have the model number handy, can get easily).

I'll wait and see if anyone else knows for certain. My suspicion is that it's probably not critical down to the 16th of an inch, but it wouldn't hurt to know.

A couple of months ago, my float came loose from the arm. After I reattached it, the bike had been fouling plugs with overly rich fuel and been harder to start. I went back into it a couple of days ago. I wasn't certain, but it seemed my re-securing of the arm MIGHT have left a trace of friction in the action between the float and the bowl. Also, it wasn't positively lifting the needle because there's so much play in the fork attachment ... The last time around, I assumed gravity feed from the gas tank would handle that job because it must have been that way all along.

SO I tightened the fork so it would actually lift the needle very slightly, and I played around with securing the arm screw in the slot till the action was completely free (float would drop when I turned it upside down), and I measured the height and found it was pretty close to my spec above.

Then today, after maybe 15 miles, it showed all the symptoms of fouled plugs, though I didn't have time to pull them before work.

The float was close to level but maybe not surgically precise. If in fact the plugs show rich fuel fouling, I will drop the bowl AGAIN and get the float exactly level and exactly 7/16" below the top and maybe try to tighten the fork on the needle some more.

I can also lean out the jetting needles (I already did a little bit), but these settings worked fine for well over a year in a range of riding conditions.

Comment

Bob!

You aren't fighting with an original cork float, are you?

Today's P4gas eats the original collodian coating in a heartbeat, and modern "gas-proof" coatings in fifteen minutes, more or less.

If perhaps even if the coating was surviving, then when it came loose, it was compromised by cracking. If you weigh it accurately, it should weigh ~ 3 grams. Anything more indicates logging (or added sealer, or both).

Posting anything more would be serious spamm,...unless invited, of course.

....Cotten

Comment

Cotten -- Selling dependable floats is NOT spam!!!

I assumed it was non-original ... it looked sort of like styrofoam coated with tan shellac. A little bit irregular in shape around the circumference (uniformly flat on top) like someone had carved it but competently.

I didn't see any obvious breaches -- once I have it out I'll test how it floats.

If you DO have floats that fit this unit, I'm asking you to post it, so that's not spam, that's me asking. I'm still not sure if I need one, but someone out there surely does.

Comment

Bob!

The cream-colored floats on the market turn into dumplings in minutes if you fill up with a modern 'oxygenated' fuel, which includes all ethanol blends.
            (And they are currently retailed as high as $68 each!)

I cut six styles of DURABLE floats personally, including ellipticals for bronze Scheblers like yours. They are ultra-light, absolutely solvent-proof, cannot leak or log, and only $50 postpaid worldwide. (The Linkert model is $40.)

You need only to post me direct at liberty@npoint.net to get your order into the mail.

Thanks!

....Cotten
            Attached Files

Comment

Those look like great floats -- if I find I need one, I will definitely want one of those.

Now it looks like the float was binding in the bowl. Which mystifies me because I was sure it was moving freely before I put the bowl back on.

I will make ABSOLUTELY sure the movement is fluid and unencumbered, looking more at that than the precise height, before I put it back together again tomorrow and try starting and riding it again.

BTW, someone on the 101 list with access to a Schebler manual told me 7/16" is correct for the DLX-36. I would imagine 11/32 would work too if it's level and moving freely ... now I think that never was my problem, but rather it was some kind of binding in the action.

Comment

Working...
              X