Hatfield's new book

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hatfield's new book

Have any of you got Hatfiled's new book: "Standard Catalog of American Motorcycles 1898-1981". It seems they "forgot" the entire Super X & Yale sections !?!? Did I get a bad copy or are they all like that? How could they miss something like that???
    Eric

Under Excelsior it states that Super-X will be listed later in the book but isn't. No Yale and more surprising no Thor? Killer book though, I bought one because it has a lot of obscure makes that I've never seen. Good job!

Louie

Comment

1898 would also appear to leave out the Motor Cycle by Pennington...altho I have not seen the book.

Comment

A review on Amazon also says the Super/X and Yale sections are missing. So I'd say the publisher has a problem with the book and it's not just your copy ... Perry

Comment

Hatfield's New Book

Unfortunately the publisher omitted the verbiage and pictures for Super-X, Thor, Whizzer, and Yale.

There are still over 1,100 pictures in the book. The 179 marques include many that to the best of my knowledge have not been treated before. These include: Cyclone Motorcycle Scooter, Jack and Heintz, JB Special, Marman, Mohs, Monark, Pony Cycle, Pow Wow, PT, Reynoles, Starlite, Travis, Vard, Wizard, and Wyse-Cycle. I believe, also, that this is the first book that has attempted to cover all motorbikes.

Indian fans will enjoy the 343 Indian illustrations that depict not only complete motorcycles but also many technical details.

All data were taken from period publications or from contemporary enthusiasts publications such as The Antique Motorcycle and The Vintage Motor Bike Club.

Jerry Hatfield

Comment

Hey Jerry, If you email me the missing sections - I'll post it for you - to hopefully apease the masses.

Paul Edwards

=========
            >>>>>>>>>
            =========

Comment

Hatfield's New Book

Great idea, Paul! I've asked the publisher if I can do this.

Comment

Hatfield's New Book

Hi Paul,

Good news! Regarding posting the missing material, I have this response from the publisher: "Absolutely. Let them have it. Tell them it was our fault (the publisher) the material was missing and we will work with you to fix the problem when the book reprints."

Please send me an e-mail off-line, so that we can discuss the technical details in posting the missing material.

Comment

Thanks

Thanks for the info Jerry!

Comment

Hi Jerry,
                    As an owner of one of the makes left out of the book, I'm eager to get the omitted material.
                    Any definite plan yet on how or when those of us who bought the book can get the missing sections?
                    Will you include text and photos? Will the info be formatted the way it is in the book?
                    Thanks.

Comment

I am pleased that those of us who bought the book may get the missing parts , I emailed the publisher but they never wrote back , there are also some mistakes but what the 'ell it's a good book anyway , I hope the missing parts can be added on here soon , I look forward to some more good reading , thanks Jerry , Ken

Comment

I love the mistakes that are brought to the attention of the authors and publishers. With all the data that goes into a book, some mistakes are going to happen. It is nice that those mistakes are diligently corrected. To bad factory service and parts manuals are not followed up as well as books like Jerry's and Bruce's are though. Just the other day, my son was reinstalling his primary cover on his ironhead sporty. He had installed a new starter selonoid. Clutch cable instructions in the factory service manual were to take up all slack out of the cable before mounting the cover. A miss print if not an outright mistake those instuctions were. To get it back together correctly, he had to do just the opposite. You need all the slack you can get in order to properly reassemble the cover or the clutch cable cannot be adjusted after assembly. You old timers know what I am talking about. Service and parts manuals are a great guide but nothing in them is for certain until you do it yourself. I look forward to owning a copy of your new book Jerry. Keep up the good works !!! Paps

Comment

Standard Catalogue of American M/Cs

Thanks, Paps. Admin Guy intends to work with me to get the missing pages posted. Since this is a considerable project, he's waiting for a break in his schedule before donating his time.

About maintenance books, some of the funniest words ever written were in the 1950s and 1960s Japanese motorcycle rider's manuals. I'll paraphrase one of them: The happy running of the engine is most apparent when the pleasant amount of oil is maintained. With many rewards does the rider proceeds in this popular fashion. See picture. Realize now!

Comment

I am insulted by Hatfield's mockery of early translations done by the Japanese. Should we be looking for parrallels in his publishing performance?

Comment

Your welcome Jerry. Fact is, there isn't an instruction sheet or manual printed for anything manufactured out there that does not have some errors in them. Many have more.

I guess you missed the humor in Jerry's manual qoute. It was meant for the english speaking population to see the variances in terminologies, typos, and mistakes. It was not meant to insult the people of Japan. If we [the English speaking peoples] translate our books into other lanquages as well as that copy was translated, they will get a good chuckle from it also. THEY SHOULD ! I personally have many good friends of many different nationalities and lanquages. We all run across miss interpretations of each others lanquage as the words were used in a sentence from time to time. One thing we do not do, is find insult when we laugh at what was really written. We chuckle, laugh, tease, and correct each other. Mr. Leno likes to point out english Chinese interpretaions on manufactured goods. I find them very amusing but I do not find them insulting. Heck Man !! Half of what I just wrote will be misunderstood and misinterpreted. Paps

Comment

Working...
                              X