Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Restoration Guides (General)

G'day everyone.
    After reading the brief on the HD 45 Resto book recently, and starting my 1922 Powerplus yesterday after some time due to my continuing exhaust nut / pipe saga with the following results:
    Smoked like a mongrel, ran bad, fuel pouring out of the carbie until the tank drained (due to miss matched fuel shut off valves and probably stuck float).
    I've now lost my sense of humour!
    So, due to my isolation to a competent restorer, and prices involved, I want to undertake a few tasks myself.
    Namely:
    Remove the tanks, open them up and replace the fuel valves with new items, resolder.

Take the poor paint on the soon to be damaged tanks (below average non-factory job) back to primer for some one else to paint.

Remove the barrels to have them cadded as they are surface rusting.

Other sundry tasks. The bike has $10000 spent this year on it re bearings, hubs and gear box issues, so I'm a bit miffed that it's still not right.

A bloke has to stand on his own feet some time, so, with informed advice from you out there:

What would be the most credible publications re basic mechanical restoration information (relevant to a machine of this period) that I would benefit from owning?

A good painting, tin ware prep advice publication.

I have no mechanical background, but have managed to keep my Chief on the road with basic maintenance for 18 years. Any advanced mechanical work always gets farmed out.

I know I may be asking a lot, for a difficult model to work on, but I'm stuck otherwise with a $30K paperweight.

Thanks for any advice everyone and I look forward to the suggestions.

Best wishes.

Ken.

baytown -- i don't have the answer but SOMEBODY out of 94 has to throw a bone at you. one or two club mags ago there was mention of two books: one was the infamous "questions and answers by uncle franK" (which if anyone wants to sell me a copy of, or photcopy of, would be greatly appreciated -- we can do it on the sly, copywright laws to be selectively avoided -- so old it must be public property anyway, right?), and the other was some kind of technical shop manual from the 30's through 40's, but the name escapes me. anyone??

Comment

Hi did you really spend $10000 on bearings or was that just miss print. I can't believe that even renewing every breaing on the bike would cost $10000 no it has to be a mistake I guess.

Comment

Thanks for the reply Surf Dude. I was starting to wonder at the amount of views with no comments as well. We have a lot of members who like to watch on this list!
        I've got Uncle Frank's book, I ordered a copy of the 1923 Dykes manual via EBay from England, paid the following day, but 2 months later no book (Hmmm!).
        What I'm after are modern reference books on best practice for painting bikes from a restoration POV, same with restoration guides. The new HD 45 book may suffice, as procedures and process would be the same, just differing finishes.
        I know there's a lot out there, as I've looked up on Amazon, and local Aussie sites, but was after some informed advice from those in the know.
        Best wishes mate.

Ken.

Comment

Originally posted by roland
          Hi did you really spend $10000 on bearings or was that just miss print. I can't believe that even renewing every breaing on the bike would cost $10000 no it has to be a mistake I guess.
          Approx $10K AU : Bearings all over, new 741 carby for usability, some powder coating, tuning, assorted other mechanical issues, welding of the gear box, and transport 3500kms to me. At $60 hr, as well as parts, it all adds up.

Best wishes Ken.

Comment

Hi Ken.
            I have a good book on vintage motorcycle restoration, it is called THE VINTAGE MOTOCYCLISTS WORKSHOP and it is by RADCO a pseudonym for a fellow called Frank Farrington who is a very good engineer restorer of vintage motorcycles. The ISBN # of the book is 0854294724 and it is published by Haynes Publishing Group. There is quite a long chapter on paint work and the whole book is aimed at the amateur restorer. I think you would find it a very helpfull book, i know i have refered to it many times while restoring some of my bikes.

Comment

Thanks Roland. That's exactly what I wanted to hear. I'll look it up mate.

Good on you.

Ken.

Comment

I'll second RADCOs book.
                Also Jeff Clew ISBN 0-85429-853-3 . It's a little long winded but has some interesting things others do not.

I also would really like a photocopy of "Uncle Franks. "

Comment

Ever since the article in the club mag, I've kept my eyes open for the "Uncle Frank" book. But it seems to be an elusive little bagger!!!! If I find one I'm willing to share!!!

Comment

I was think'in bout this. Canadian -Bernie Nicolsons book is also good. As are the technical articles that come out in many of the magazines. You could cut the tech articles out and make your own tech binder over time. Cross reference a few articles on a specific subject.

Comment

I just had a Questions and Answers book show up in the mail. It's not the Uncle Frank version however. It's called Q&A Manual of Motorcyle Maintenance published by Bagnall Publising Co. I've only just thumbed through it, but it seems like it's got quite a bit of info. Most of the content is of the Harley variety, but it does have Indian, some Henderson and Mustang scooter info as well. I do also have a copy of the Nicholson book and it's great!!!

Comment

Maybe you could get some hints from Steve Slocombs VL restoratin book. Anyway, it's comforting that there are others somewhere on this planet making bankrupsy due to restoration costs. Of cours we could also have spent the major part of the 10 K on women and booze (and wasted the rest!).
                        Fiskis

Comment

Thanks for the info fellas.
                          Steves book sounds like a must. I wil get a copy.
                          Re spending the cash on women and wine. I'm married to a cop. Not a good idea!

Best wishes.

Ken.

Comment

Working...
                          X