Which meet should I go to?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Which meet should I go to?

I want to go east to see a big meet for the first time. I have narrowed it down to either Wauseon or Chief Blackhawk.
    I would like some help to decide. I have heard both are great. Why would one be best over the other. I will fly out, drive is too long. I need to make plans soon so any input would help.

davenport

i'll be riding out to your state ,then headed back east in time for davenport . this is the meet to attend ,nothing against wauseon been to that meet to . davenport has the races , large swap meet and the national motorcycle museum isn't to far off . any must see stops in ol motorcycle stops i should see while out in your state ? now 'bout that fly'n stuff..... ride on out !

Comment

I think most would agree that Davenport is the premier meet with the most vendors, races at night and plenty of hotels in the area. I think Wauseon is a great meet and we go every year, but I think the consesus will be in favor of Davenport.
      The problem is figuring out where to fly into. You could always fly into St. Louis or Springfield, IL, then go to the AMA flat track races in Springfield on the way home Sunday. If you've never been to a one-mile dirt track race, you haven't lived.

Comment

Hands down, go to Davenport. Waseon is good but can't hold a candle to everything that's going on at Davenport. It's like the Sturges of the antique motorcycle world! Bring comfortable walking shoes and a good camera, you'll need both and then some. Good luck and see you there!
        TR

Comment

Closest Airport to Davenport

"Johnny," wrote - "The problem is figuring out where to fly into. You could always fly into St. Louis or Springfield, IL ..."

We would suggest you absolutely PASS on flying into Springfield, Illinois, (178 miles away from Davenport), or St. Louis, (268 miles away), which is even FARTHER away from Davenport .... unless you REALLY enjoy driving through Labor Day weekend traffic for 5 plus hours before you even reach Davenport.

For eight years we have flown Northwest Airlines, Non-Stop, into Quad Cities, (Moline, Illinois), from both Houston and Detroit. Price has been around $240 roundtrip.

And more importantly, Quad Cities/Moline airport is just SEVEN MILES from the Davenport, Fairgrounds!!! And it only takes us 15 MINUTES, from the Quad Cities airport, to the front gate at the Blackhawk event.

15 Minutes vs. 5+ Hours .... in holiday traffic??

Comment

It's 3 14 hour days EACH WAY to drive to Davenport from here, so I've flown a couple times. The first time was into Moline. Sat for 7 hours in Chicago to make the connection. The next time I flew I rented a car and drove from Chicago. 5 or 6 hours to Davenport with a swing by Cotten's shop included. About 3 or 4 on the way back ... Perry

Comment

WOW! 84 Hours on the road!!!

Perry Ruiter wrote - "It's 3 14 hour days EACH WAY to drive to Davenport from here ...."

WOW! 42 hours EACH WAY to Davenport! 84 hours on the road!! Now that is true dedication!!!

And with the expense of gasolene now, (84 hours on the road x 60 mph average = 5,040 miles @ 25 miles per gallon = 201 gallons x $3 per gallon (US) = $600+ for gas alone!!

Right now, Northwest Airlines, is advertising a flight from Los Angeles, to Quad Cities, for $289 roundtrip, if you purchase the ticket 30 days in advance .

Comment

Thank you all very much. It looks like Davenport is it. I plan to book well in advance so RS your info is very good to hear.

Comment

Truck and Trailer = 9mpg. Flying is the way to go for us on the coast.

Some talk of ganging bikes up in a trailer and splitting costs. Two high.

It would be interesting to ride out one year. Maybe hit a road run enroute. 5-6days? Too much time for me.

Comment

Ive rode out on more than a few times from Maine...not nice but did see alot of the land,now when I go I fly and meet friends there and they are nice enough to cart my A** around ! Leave on wednesday home Sundaynite

Comment

Davenport - bigger than Wauseon, but I've found the deals there a bit harder to come by.
                      I like driving - 19 hours one way, non-stop except for fuel. And the scenery in Indiana is spectacular - if it ain't beans, it's corn.
                      Lonnie

Comment

I am already getting pumped up about it.
                        Is there any particular motel you guys stay at in the Quad Cities/Moline Airport area? Never been there.

Comment

Davenport website

Hi Knuck,

Here is the AMCA Blackhawk Chapter - Annual Davenport website
                          http://chiefblackhawk.org

You will find lodging information on the left side of the page and their "Headquarters" motel this year, is the Holiday Inn Hotel & Suites, BETTENDORF , 909 MIDDLE ROAD, BETTENDORF,
                          IA 52722

Lots of info on that web page and you can even order a copy of a nice video, covering previous Davenport events, by calling Wanda at the listed phone number.

Good Luck!

Comment

Working...
                          X