No announcement yet.

builder new legislation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

it seems to me that biker individuality is the bottm line at what is at stake. when regulators step in, things go from personal likes to generic, easy to identify supposedly good for all. it's what we consider to be our idea of safe for the common good. turning the one time custom builder into an individual who now must be liabel for his creation for ever not withstanding what the next owner may do seems to be how our once free american idea has turned into we need to regulate the regulations. i do not speak lighty of the ever growing phenom as i am one of the goverment people who enforces regulations. i do not believe that any state motor vehicle department has people with the backgroung in all the necessary disciplines therefore we can not approve what we don't know. on the other hand one can not assume that all individually crafted motorcycles are junk. where do you draw the line. when you regulate out personally built bikes, personally modified machines will be next, and finnaly it will get down to i must put turn signals on my 50 pan. but it will all be for our good and saftey, as you all know because we ride them we can not be very smart.

Comment

From what I understand through my reading of the current motorcycle periodicals, the legislation planned would allow only one bike to be built by a single person during his or her lifetime. Also, any modification of a bike manufactured by a licensed & certified builder would be illegal. This includes changing the exhaust or rejetting the carb. These laws would be to protect the environment from all the noxious fumes our bikes spew out and not to protect the riders from sub standard builds --- the tree huggers could care less about riders.

Comment

i go back to the point that emissions are already or soon will be addressesd in all states, it's the build that they wish to catch up to because the lack of law regarding this part of the aftermarket industry. this is big brother, the tree huggers already have their legislation with the laws regarding to pollution. it's a matter of looking around at a new industry and realizing they have little control, so here we go let's make law so we can have control, there is no doubt that the majior manufactures may be pushing the issue as the small independants are definatly cutting into them, at any big events how many customs are you seeing now days compared to 5 years ago. many of these are home grown and not the small manufacures ie big dog ect: it's all about legislating control. it won't be long that how it came is how it will be if you want the stay on the legal side, the time will come whwn our old machines are deemed unsafe because the don't fall under a generic criteria.
        kb

Comment

First of I assume the legislation that is being discussed is federal and unless you are a "builder" to sell to the public, it has nothing to do with most of us. If I build a "new" bike here in GA it must be inspected by the state, a process which I have been through and can tell you that besides the money and aggravation of the process, there is nothing to it. Of course, thats here in GA where there is no emissions testing or the such. Licensing a vehicle is state function bound by it's laws, my point being that the states would have to pass legislation also. Remember the National helmet laws? It's taken years but there are 30 states that are "choice "states.
          The picture I posted earlier, is a bike for sale on ebay for any one interested.............

Louie

Comment

The new EPA laws are federal and apply to everyone. If you want to build a new bike, say a chopper, for yourself, you are only allowed to do it once in your lifetime. When it is built, you can't sell it for 5 years for ANY reason, not even divorce, bankruptcy, whatever. When it is sold, you're done building new custom bikes. Those who want to turn out multiple bikes will have to apply for manufacturer's license and other laws will apply, if they can even get a license. All of this only applys to bikes built with new engines, for now. More info is available through the American Iron Magazine web site:
            www.aimag.com

Comment

Working...
            X