Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Aftermarket Leather Saddlebag ?'s

Paquette and All!

Attached is a photo of one of a pair of semi-modern bags that a client pulled out of a local swapmeet.

Construction is nearly identical to OEM of the early '50s, but no 'wings' stamp on the lid, and they are grommeted on the back for swingarm racks. The shield plate on the back is stainless.

My guess is that they are vegetable tanned.

Although the conchos and beaded latigos appear out of place as if modern additions, the jeweled studs (inset) appear to be original.

Can anyone tell me the manufacturer and probable vintage? (My guess is that they are from the same source as OEM, but produced somewhere from the '60s to '80s).

Thanks in advance,

...Cotten
    Attached Files

Cotten---Can you post or send me a pic of the backof the bag. You are right, they are VERY close to the OEM bags from the 50's.

Comment

P!

It will be weeks before I can contact the owner again.

The backing panel was the same neoprene-like material as vintage bags, except in like-new condition. I expected to find common tenting grommets around the rack holes, but they were a different design.

The patterns, materials, stitching, riveting, and quality of workmanship are all indistinguishable from OEM.
      Just the gawdawfull beads and "gonchas" (as they are frequently called in the Midwest) plus the remarkable freshness are the only clues that these aren't forty years old.

....Cotten

Comment

I went back to Milsco Manufacturing ( the OEM since 1933) in Milwaukee last week to do some more research for my book and just happened to get a copy of the production drawings for that bag. I will check later to see if there is any info on them making a white bag. I know they did make some colored bags in the 50's. These look so close to me, it looks like someone removed every other nickle spot and replaced them with the colored ones, and added the conchos. But you did say the H-D wings are missing from the lid.-- Another one of the mysteries of our hobby!!!

Comment

Did those bags come off Liberache's motorcycle ? What does the rest of the motorcycle look like ?

Comment

Cotten--I have checked my info and I do not see any reference to a white leather bag made during the 50's or 60's. They do look like OEM but the lack of the stamp bothers me as H-D did not miss any opportunity to advertise. Maybe they were made by Don Becker, after all he is the one who "invented " the Indian seat skirt that you see on so many supposedidly factory made seats. ( and for that matter many H-D enthusiasts think are correct). If you can get somemore pics I would like to see them.---Michael

Comment

Exeric!
              It might have had furry handlebars and curb feelers.

Michael!
              The lack of wings means little, if Milsco made products for other vendors or the general aftermarket, after the MoCo switched to plastic. Perhaps your info was limited to MoCo orders?

Milsco is still in business?

An "Indian" skirt on production HD's?

....Cotten

Comment

that bag looks pretty much like bags a fellow by the name of kieser used to make for Indians he has passed for quit some time now I could be wrong but he did do very nice work

Comment

Cotten,
                  Sorry for the delay, but I went to the Oley meet this weekend. What a fantastic meet is was, almost as big as Davenport. You are correct, the lack of a logo means nothing, they could have slipped by without being stamped. They may also have been a special item made for a short time such as the 50th anniversary. They may also be just a good reproduction. I would like to see a pic of the back should you get a chance to see them again. Yes Milsco is still in business and they still make all H-D seats and bags. They also made the "Bubble" hard bags and the fiberglass bags in the 60's. And they still have most of the original production drawings which they have shared with me to use as resaerch for my book. Really fine group of folks----

Comment

Here are two more photos of the bags:

The first shows the back, where the shieldplate is stainless. My memory was faulty on the mount holes, as you can see three simple holes with countersunk reliefs through the backing; no grommetts.
                    (Apparently we have a dual pattern for swingarm or rack installations.)

The second photo (which apparently I must post separately, and shall follow this one) has been brightened to show the black reinforcing of the backing, about 3" wide. The crease stiffener matches earlier OEM bags.

There is mold forming naturally.
                    Hopefully the owner has taken my advice of using some Lysol to slow things, but we need a fungicide/inhibitor for the nappy unfinished leather inside of bags.

...Cotten
                    Attached Files

Comment

And the bag lid photo is attached here.

Thanks again,

...Cotten
                      Attached Files

Comment

Cotten--

There are a few hints that suggest these are not H-D OEM.
                        They are for a swingarm frame ( the 3 holes in the back are a giveaway). The intro of the swingarm was pretty much the death-knell for leather bags although Harley continued to make them for a few years for rigid frame bikes. The mounting plate would have been rivited to the back. The metal wear plate is also wrong. The OEM style was painted black, wider, and had a piece of the panolene plastic on the plate and wrapping around the bottom, and a visible "V" cut on the side where a rivet would go. The reinforcing plate inside the lid DOES look OEM but the rivets do not. They would have been star peened tub rivets. I also have never seen an OEM bag with the sort of conchos that are on the front. All in all, I would say they are nice 60's vintage reproductions.

Comment

Re: Aftermarket Leather Saddlebag ?'s

Originally posted by T. Cotten
                          Paquette and All!

Attached is a photo of one of a pair of semi-modern bags that a client pulled out of a local swapmeet.

Construction is nearly identical to OEM of the early '50s, but no 'wings' stamp on the lid, and they are grommeted on the back for swingarm racks. The shield plate on the back is stainless.

My guess is that they are vegetable tanned.

Although the conchos and beaded latigos appear out of place as if modern additions, the jeweled studs (inset) appear to be original.

Can anyone tell me the manufacturer and probable vintage? (My guess is that they are from the same source as OEM, but produced somewhere from the '60s to '80s).

Thanks in advance,

...Cotten
                          I like that saddlebag.

Fancy yet tasteful; not to the level of "pimp my ride" garishness....

Comment

I was looking at a one year only bag from a pan head the other night. 47 pan head I think. The buckles were western style. Was that 47? I thought it looked really sharp. Are those buckles available?

Comment

C'mon Paul !! 47 Panhead??????? I know your an Indian guy at heart. I think the bags you are referring to are from 48 and 49. Buckles are available from saddle shops but I have not found EXACT replacements. Close though. I have an original set of bags with all of the buckles if you are interested. John L.

Comment

Working...
                              X