Euro chapter guys! An event for you.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Euro chapter guys! An event for you.

Take a look at the PDF file (dwnload) from the 3rd event down. It's in english. Just look at how these guys time, and organize this event. It almost scares me!

Motorcycle, Old Cars and more
    The largest Motorcycle Veterans Meetings of Europe at 02. - 05.06.2006 in
    Ibbenbüren Germany
    Information to all meetings of the AMC Ibbenbüren e.V im ADAC see:
    <http://www.amc-ibb.de/> www.amc-ibb.de

If it's not AMCA or chapter affiliated please don't post it here. Sorry AdminGuy, couldn't resist ... Perry

Comment

Ya, Ya, I realize that. Just consider the number of local events around the globe. We could create a section just for that. Seeing pictures would be interesting. Hummm.... no.

A bunch of our guys in euro land will be going on that run.
      So it's more of an FYI just to see how it's all organized.

Comment

AdminGuy, there could indeed be a whole section on these runs.

I'm flying Over There on Tuesday, as a matter of fact. I'm going to ride in The Belt Drive Rally and also The Richard Kuechen Memorial Rally on the next two weekends.

Of course, it's not too surprising that the Germans would be very organized... ;-)

If you'd like to see some pictures, you might want to look at the write up I did on the International Windmill Trophy run a couple years ago. Lots of pictures there.

Comment

Went on the Ibbenburen Run in 2004 & 2005, its well organised and staffed, and enjoys a large and varied entry, except only one entry from France (something happened between France and Germany in the past according to one of the other entrants )

It has about 500 entrants all on pre 1942 bikes even some early veterans pre 1910, and runs over four days, with a social run on Saturday of about 65 miles and a timed stage run on Sunday,of about 75-80 miles which is really well organised. The timing stations seemed to have mobile email, and were sending the clocking in and out times through the timed stages back to the admin centre at the start of the run !!

Only 1 problem with the run, because of its size now, the parking for entrants and campers is a bit small, but great food, hospitality and organisation.

Hoping to make it back in 2007

Comment

Great idea, a forum for different runs. What do ya'll think?

Louie

Comment

Sounds like a winner but it will be a very long list,I kinda like sticking to Club fuctions!!!
              Darrylri,You are one lucky S.O.B. !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Thankyou for sharing the Pics,looks to be quite a hoot!

Comment

I will definitely post more pictures of these rallies when I get home. These two rallies generally get about 100 bikes each, and the Belt Drive Rally only accepts bikes up until 1924!

In Germany, at least, it seems like you could attend a vintage rally or swap meet every weekend from April through October, if only you could find out about them all. Because Germany is a relatively small place - they used to say that West Germany was about the size of Oregon - you can drive to any rally within an easy day's drive.

Even though the ADAC - the German AAA - and the VFV - a national vintage vehicle club that includes cars, motorcycles, bicycles and tractors - are heavily involved in many of these rallies, I have yet to find one central place where they all get listed.

Comment

Hey and I bet you could really drink some of the Worlds best beer!

Comment

Originally posted by INLINE4NUT
                    Hey and I bet you could really drink some of the Worlds best beer!
                    Beer? Do they make that in Germany?

Comment

Well, I said I'd post some photos, but I took a ton of them. So, instead, I invite you to check them out on two new pages on my web site.

The first is the Keilriemenfahrt, or Belt Drive Rally. This is for any bike from 1924 or earlier, or up to 1928 if they're actually belt driven. I was able to borrow a 1913 Douglas 2 3/4 HP (that's the model name) for this 2 day rally held over the May Day weekend.

The second rally, the Richard Kuechen Gedaechtnisfahrt (Richard Kuechen Memorial Rally), was held the next weekend. This rally was for any bike up until 1939, and they had over 120 entrants.

Check them out, there are a lot of photos of bikes you just don't see over here!

Comment

Now that is cool!!! Much thanks Darryl.

Comment

OK, I'll say it again....boy I wish we had run like that in the States. I posted links to the Pewter Run in NH in the Pre '16 forum with out much interest. Your a lucky guy Darryl! Nice pics and web site too.

Louie

Comment

This is the third year I've been able to participate in these rallies. They are great fun, and in spite of the typical German organization, there's a lot of esprit de corps. And these are just local rallies; they're always amazed at the American who shows up, and wonder why I would bother.

The other thing I find interesting is that there aren't that many BMWs. It's sort of like Yogi Berra said: nobody goes there because it's too crowded. These folks seem to really like the obscure marques over the common ones. The guy who did the machine work on my R52 is building himself a Cemec -- it's much more challenging than building a BMW R12.

Anyway, I too wish I could find this sort of a gathering here.

Comment

Hello Darryl,

I was talking to a german guy at the ibbenburen rally last year and according to him there aren't that many pre war BMW's around in Germany because most of them were requisitioned for war use just before WW2 and were left behind in north africa and eastern europe during the Wehrmacht's retreat back to Germany 1942-45.

Interestingly a delaer here in the UK who travels and buys in the middle east has brough back WW2 BMW's still in the Afrika Korps colours and insignia, found in garages in Eygpt. So there are still finds out there waiting to be discovered.

Regards,

Martin

Comment

Working...
                              X