No announcement yet.

this is why everyone should own an electric vehicle

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I couldn't agree more. Gasoline-powered vehicles are much safer...

BurningCar.jpg

Comment

Gov. Newsom will make California so much safer in a few years with only electric vehicles being allowed there...
      Rich Inmate #7084

Comment

Great, " 0 emission" cars for all! What a crock!

I just want to know where all the non fossil fuel generated electricity will come from to charge those cars, day and night, and who will replace the electrical grid so it can handle that amount of power. I'm also looking forward to electric semi trucks that can haul a fraction of the normal freight because a major portion of their capacity is used for carrying batteries, plus the delays in reaching their destination because they have to stop and recharge. The most exciting thing though will be flying in an electric jumbo jet! YAY! GO GREEN!!!!

Sorry......not old motorcycle related...

Comment

yes, indeed, Gene. and to really veer off topic, we the species have a ways to go before we transcend anything shaped like a wheel used to propel us into motion.

back on topic, the city of Omaha spent millions of dollars cleaning up the Missouri river front where battery manufacturing took place.
          Steve Swan

27JD 11090 Restored
          https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ClUPIOo7-o8
          https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LtuptEAlU30

27JD 13514 aka "Frank"
          https://forum.antiquemotorcycle.org/...n-Project-SWAN
          https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hNRB...nnel=steveswan

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RSDeuTqD9Ks
          https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bwlIsZKmsTY

Comment

Originally posted by gharper View Post
            I just want to know where all the non fossil fuel generated electricity will come from to charge those cars, day and night, and who will replace the electrical grid so it can handle that amount of power.
            To introduce actual facts into this thread, the grid isn't an issue. Peer-reviewed governmental as well as industry-supported studies estimate that widespread adoption of electric vehicles over the next two decades will represent only 5% of the total electric demand.

Aside from the non-polluting aspects of wind and solar, an electric vehicle powered by a coal-fired plant still represents a gain since large power plants are thermodynamically more efficient than individual automobile engines. Plus, those plants are located in remote areas where their pollution impacts the health of far fewer people than if the emissions were being dumped in the middle of cities as they are now.

As for old motorcycle-related content, the first mass-produced electric motorcycle, the Socovel, dates to the late 1930s, at which time an estimated 1000 were sold despite its lead-acid battery pack weighing 200 lbs. and having range of only 25 miles at a top speed of just 20 mph. This shows a demand for electric motorcycles exists. Thanks to huge improvement in battery technology, range and top speed are no longer factors for just about anyone who isn't entered in the Iron Butt Rally.

Comment

Originally posted by BoschZEV View Post
              To introduce actual facts into this thread, the grid isn't an issue.
              Good one!!

Comment

Originally posted by Steve Swan View Post
                the city of Omaha spent millions of dollars cleaning up the Missouri river front where battery manufacturing took place.
                Actually, the manufacturing site was not cleaned up. They placed a suposedly impervious soil cap over it, not to mention acres of parking lots, and the CHI Health arena. But there's been millions spent cleaning up the top soil in the down wind shadow area which is quite extensive.

Comment

As for me, I can't wait for the flying cars and bikes from the Jetsons. Why aren't they here already?

Comment

[QUOTE=BoschZEV;194710]
                    "Aside from the non-polluting aspects of wind and solar"....

How is burying thousands of wind turbine blades in Wyoming "not jpolluting"?
                    Rich Inmate #7084

Comment

Another fact is that, unlike used oil, used wind turbine blades do not enter the environment to pollute the water or air. And, in any case, as soon as the problem of used blades was identified, ways to economically recycle the materials in them started to be developed and quickly made significant progress.

How best to deal with the situation so we can breathe fresh air and drink clean water should be a matter of discussion of possible alternatives based on actual scientific facts. Unfortunately, way too many "alternative facts" (i.e. baseless opinions) get in the way of that.

For those who are interested:

c1940 Socovel (Belgium)
                      Weight: 440 lbs.
                      Range: 25 miles
                      Speed: 20 mph
                      Charging time: many hours

2020 Tarform Luna (US)
                      Weight: 440 lbs.
                      Range: 120 miles
                      Speed: 90 mph
                      Charging time: 50 min.

Socovel02.jpgTarformLuna.jpg

Comment

The population estimate for 2050 is 9.8 billion people. No privacy, no elbow room, diminishing resources, but the promise of wars, crime, and bad attitudes. Population is the issue that gets ignored, but that's because there is no money, or political advantage in doing anything about it.
                        Last edited by exeric; 11-26-2020, 04:07 PM.
                        Eric Smith
                        AMCA #886

Comment

Man ! What a downer. Ignore my comment above because today is Thanksgiving and we should be grateful for our health, freedom, and loving people around us. Oh yeah, and MOTORCYCLES !
                          Eric Smith
                          AMCA #886

Comment

^ ^ ^ +1 Dittos etc! ^ ^ ^

Comment

I guess the upcoming age of electronic means of ground transportation is irreversible. I look at the miles per charge and always feel it isn't enough to go the distance I want, but I guess it's no different than stopping to fill up the gas tank. Until there are enough charging stations to fill every back road town, maybe we should consider ourselves the 21st century pioneers searching for electric like the early 20th century motorcyclists did when looking for a drug store to buy a gallon of gas. When the convenience we like is gone all of the sudden and we have to actually adapt like motorcyclist did 100 years ago I guess we'll see if we really appreciate what the early motorcyclists went through that we envy so much. And its possible it will work the same for us, that still hope to run our internal explosion vehicles until we die, we may come round about and be looking for a drug store selling that last gallon of gas we need, or most likely the cell phone activated drone will drop of a gallon of gas from Amazon to our remote location. Just trying to put a positive spin on the future I'm not really looking forward to. Savvy entrepreneurs may already be making an electric drop in power plant for our steel loop frames, at least we can save the sheet metal, let's hope. Regards, Bob
                              Bob Rice #6738

Comment

Working...
                              X