Show off your "bobber"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by inrustwetrust
    I started out doing high point restorations. They are fun and nice to look at. I get far more satisfaction and have a lot more fun on a creation instead of a AMCA correct bike. I doubt there is anybody out there that will buy a complete bike and go after it with a sawzall. It doesn't make any sense to any of us to buy, say, a thirty thousand dollar bike and make it a twelve thousand dollar bike by chopping it up. Basically, anybody can restore a bike to original. Building a bobber takes much more creativity and a broader view. In many ways, the difference between restored machines and the bobbers is much like the difference between a paint by numbers picture and a true masterpiece.
    With all due respect, your last 3 sentences are the most blatant load of baloney I've ever seen on this forum.

Comment

Kurt, The Bike is sweet !! So this has been your latest project ? I should have known only you would do it all. My hat is off to you. You should post a pic of your last 42 wla too. This, in combination with the BT bobber, would really show your diverse passions for motorcycles. You got to tell me more about the servi frames too. Grab me off forum about them when you get a chance. Email is fine. Thanks, Paps

Comment

I should also add that I have built choppers and bobbers in the past and still love a well thought out chopper and authentic bobbers, but restoration ain't no paint by numbers endeavor. For a person who does their own work, motorcycle restoration will challenge every skill you have.

Comment

I have to agree with you on that one eric. I've seen a few restos that were total hatchet jobs by fellows that didn't know what they were doing. I have the utmost respect for the guys who truly know what they are doing. I'm just a backyard guy who will be heeding the advice of others to get the job done right. I am also gathering all the literature I can pertaining to the jobs at hand. I've had old bike fever for a very long time. That darn Don Doody infected me with the bug many years ago!

Comment

Sorry about insulting people with the paint by numbers analogy. For me, after decades of restorations, it is nice to be creative instead of steadfastly rewalking somebody elses footsteps. The whole bobber concept happened to me after acquiring a load of remnants of an old Indian shop that was heavy into racing and customizing machines. This occurred just after having a bike judged at 99-1/4 points. There was no possibility of making an AMCA correct bike so I started building up bobbers out of hacked and hammered parts. Believe me, with the mindset I had at the time, if I could have restored some machines out of the pile I would have. It turns out that it has been the most fun and rewarding experience I have had in years. Restoration and building up something out of parts require much the same background; a good knowledge of the machine and history of the machine. Sometimes I get a little irritated having to hear that there is only one way to do something. We are all in it for fun, why else would we do it ?

Comment

Hey Kurt, was those your flamed Indians at the Euro meet?

Louie

Comment

Weren't those something? I'd like to claim them, but I can't. The owners hung out with Harry at Harry's Flat Shop tent and I didn't get a chance to meet them. Cool bikes though.

Here's the Chief and I'll post a pix of the other one also.
                Attached Files

Comment

Here's the other:
                  Attached Files

Comment

OK OK. I will say just a few more words. BOBDO i understand perfectly thanks and KDC lovely looking bike but definitly not an antique motorcycle, belongs in a custom motorcycle show not an antique club, sorry but thats my view and i am sticking to it.

Comment

I'm going to throw you guys a curve ball. In 2008 a group of Kiwis are coming to the US for another ride.
                      In 2003 we put out an invitation, to anyone interested, to come ride with us and the response was nil so here's that invitation again.
                      We fly into Chicago then head for Sturgis via Anamosa. From Sturgis we go north through Sth Dakota, Nth Dakota, Minniesota and over the top of Lake Michigan and on to Niagara Falls. Then to Boston, Detroit, Chicago and on to Davenport for the Swap Meet. After that it's basically follow Route 66 to L.A.
                      I've seen all sorts of comments on this thread that implys the "RIDE EM, DON'T HIDE EM" theme so nows the time to front up or are all those Bobbers, Choppers or what-ever you want to call them, just boulevard cruisers.
                      Come ride with the Kiwis and put some real miles on them.
                      I'll more than likely be taking my 1937 Flatty with a chair on it and she sure a'nt no trailer queen.
                      Contact me if you're seriously interested.
                      Tommo

Comment

That sounds like a great trip how many miles would it be .? I don't think it would be fair to subject my 350 manxman to such a gruelling trip though, it's only a 350cc and although capable of 80mph (down hill with the wind behind me)i dought it would last very long (many of the engine internals are over 60 years old) and spare parts are not that easy to find i only have a few parts myself, i will take it out on short trips but i have to baby it as it has sentimental value to me as well (it was my late fathers who was killed on it in a crash in the isle of man, during TT week, a frigging german on a BMW came round a blind corner on the wrong side of the road and took him out) so i don't want to risk blowing her up.
                        I would not mind doing that trip on my modern road bike, suzuki SV1000s or maybe even my 1966 250 matchless if i get it finished in time, i am in the middle of restoring it right now. I would think i am going to have to save a fair bit of money for a trip like that as well, and i dont have a job right now, i am looking to get employed again in the next couple of weeks i hope.

Comment

6500 to 7000 miles roughly. We arrive July 28th and leave L.A. Sept 24th.
                          Thats the plans at present. Not totally in concrete yet.
                          Tommo.

Comment

Beautiful!

What great looking bikes! Congratulations!!

Comment

Wow!

Magnificent!!

http://www.antiquemotorcycle.org/bbo...=&postid=11399

Comment

Working...
                              X