Mandrel tube bender

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mandrel tube bender

I am trying to find someone with a one and three-quarter inch (1.750) mandrel bender to fabricate an exhaust pipe. Can anybody recommend someone? THANKS.

Depending on the number of bends that you need. It's sometimes works out to be a simple matter to buy 1.75" pre-bent "U" bends and straight sections of 1.75". You predetermine the radius of U-bends required. Like 3 or 4". You cut your "U" bends sectionally dependant upon the degree angle required. This ensures a nice percise fit when TIGed together.

250-300 USD. for the job from just about anyone. Stainless would be more. It's a days work.

A mandrel has a tendancy to stretch the pipe. Leaves narrow marks at either the end of the bend. By sectioning out the bend and welding together, maybe brass over the weld and hand smooth/blend it. You create a seamless pipe with no noticable difference in diameter along its length. ie -no stretch marks.

Ya, you can fill it with sand, weld closed and bend. Still alot of work. I figure just TIG it.

I really don't know alot. Would like to hear from others.

Comment

Reply to B. A. Merc

Have some expertise in this field. My hossfeld #2 bender is a mandrel bender. The tubing must be of a heavier wall thickness than standard exhaust pipe. When I build headers for the race cars in my shop, I buy pre-bent tubing from Burns Stainless or SPD they can supply you with anything you need. Admin-guy is correct in suggesting tigwelding for the nicest job. You can call me from Monday to Friday, 7:00 am to 6:00 pm at Precision Chassis at 610-921-5768 (Ask for Jim) and I will supply you with phone numbers.

Hope this helps,
      JamesPC

Comment

Working...
      X