test for original paint??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• test for original paint??

Is there a good test that can be done on location to verify original paint Harleys from the 1936 to 1957 era? Should the back side of the tanks be fully painted? Were they laquer base paints or oil base?? Any help would be appreciated as no restoration book that I have seen helps with this.

on my bike, 64 pan, the piant faids out on the back where it cant be seen. the stripes seem to fade to. it is like the tank was painted real fast. they must have been paid by the piece.

Comment

Ditto on my 66' FLH tanks. Save time and money on paint I guess. One small test to see if modern paint has been used is to get some 2000 grit wet/dry sand paper. Sand dry, very lightly on a small spot for just a second on the under side. If only a white type powder comes off and NO color, than it has been clear coated. This sand paper is so mild that this area will polish right back with mild compound by hand. If you want you can even just use the compound on a white rag and see color if you rub a bit.

If a color comes off it still does not mean it is original as many paints such as Dupont still offer a single stage paint with no clear coat. Also, look for normal age, after 40 or 50 years you see some paint fade on stripes or rub through on sharp outer areas.

It is only original once.

Comment

Working...
      X