Indian museum in Springfield closed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Indian museum in Springfield closed

A heads up in case anyone was planning to visit the Indian Motorcycle Museum in Springfield -- I copied this from another forum:

"We took a ride up to Springfield, Massachusetts today. We were quite dismayed to find out the Indian Motorcycle Museum is closed indefinately. According to the security guard, the 93 year old woman caretaker has broken her hip and it is unknown when or if she will return.
    She was the only worker there. I truely hope that this collection does not become lost and scattered to the winds of greed and decay."

Bob,
    All things change.I hope someone takes over and makes it better than ever! I have had some nice times there on INDIAN DAY !! Lets Hope and Pray for the best!!!

PS : First and formost I hope Ester( I think thats her name ) has a speedy recovery! My Prayers are with her!

Comment

Ouch! Not good odds. My best to her.
      Thanks for the heads up. Someone will take it over, or merge it.

Comment

Well, there goes the supposed 1903 Harley-Davidson info that is reportedly in that collection.

Sure wonder what that was....

Comment

museum objects.

my prayers and thoughts to ester. my favorite item in the museum on my visits was oscar hedstroms toolbox. did anyone ever check out the dividers in it?

Comment

Any news on Ester?

Comment

May God bless the woman. I dunno but I think that the myth that she has H-D info is just that, a myth. As is the myth of the H-D --Indian " wars" both companies were trying to exist with the automobile and my research shows that many leather products were supplied by the same manufacturer---Like I said I dunno, but I got feelings----

Comment

Originally posted by Paquette
                May God bless the woman. I dunno but I think that the myth that she has H-D info is just that, a myth. As is the myth of the H-D --Indian " wars" both companies were trying to exist with the automobile and my research shows that many leather products were supplied by the same manufacturer---Like I said I dunno, but I got feelings----
                Paquette,

You're right about the Indian-HD war being mostly myth! It was largely a dog-and-pony show to drum up enthusiasm among riders. Behind the scenes Harley and Indian brass were friendly and visited each others factories from the 1910s to the very end of Indian's existence.

Like you said, the real "enemy" was the automobile.

Of course there was rivalry among riders to be sure and dealers promoted it at hillclimbs and at races. And there was business rivalry too for market share and survival. That played on the natural inclination to "think" ones own brand it best and to crow about it.

IMO Harley and Indian were pretty equal from 1909 to 1936 with no great advantage between their products during those years. It was race-track and hillclimb rivalry that kept the motorcycle scene interesting and alive at the same time it was slowing dying.

Lots of interesting contradictions and cross-currents there, eh?

Like somebody once said: "Everybody needs a can of tomatoes, but nobody needs a motorcycle."

Of course now everybody thinks they need a new shiny Harley....

Comment

I forgot to say that I wouldn't be surprised if there was something at the Springfield Indian museum that sheds new light upon Harley-Davidson's origin, altho I'm pretty confident in what direction that information would fall.....

1901-1903: dinky power-bicycle learning experience; none sold

1904: loop-frame proto finished

1905: 1st bikes actually sold

Later ad-hack S. Lacy Crolius transformed that into:

1901, 1902, or 1903 (pick one from menu): first Harleys put on market and sold.

Milwaukee was so confused by its own advertising propaganda that it later fixed (incorrectly) upon the year 1903 as the first year of production.

We have documented it.

Harley's baby years
                  http://www.atthecreation.com/

Comment

Working...
                  X