1930 VL Questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1930 VL Questions

I am looking at a 1930 Harley VL can some of the more experienced here give me some pointers and suggestions on them and what to look for.

From what I can see it apears to be 90% complete missing the double headlight that I understand is hard to locate.

Gas tanks have some rust to the bottoms oil pump looks good.

missing a sidecover from motor to trans.

rims are rusty on bottoms appears to have sat in the dirt one looks to be able to be a easy fix not to sure about the other.

Have extra parts for the motor and trans.

Frame looks real good as do the fenders.

Seat is ok

Good move would be to contact Steve @ VLHeaven. Always been helpful and very knowledgable of VL's. Having a 29 JD which has limited simularities I can't help you much, but can confirm the original dual headlights are dificult to find.......but they are being reproduced if you desire. Good luck
    johnny

Comment

Thanks Johnny I appreciate your responce

Comment

Hi Chuck,
        I have a 1930 74 plus sidecar that I bought from the original owner in 1966, and I am now in the process of rebuilding it to original stock shape, not repainted or what. Steve Slocombe has a nice restoration manual you can buy, plus lots of parts. Ebay is also another source of stock parts for the VL's.
        gimp

Comment

Thanks for your responce I have seen a fair amount of parts on e-bay also hope to close the deal soon on the Vl just wish it had a sidecar like yours.

Comment

Hi,
            There have been sidecars complete, and sidecar bodies for sale on ebay, you just have to keep looking. There will be a serial number tag on the front of the seat visible when you open the door, and this will have the year the body was made. There is also a serial number on the frame. Purchasing a couple of the repro HD spare parts books covering 1930 will also help you to identify the correct year when you buy parts. If you have any more questions about what to look for on a 1930 Vc, please email me if I can help you.
            Gimp

Comment

Yes, VL-Steve has the twin headliights, the oiler cover and whatever you might need except sidecars. I do not think he fancys them as he was so glad to hear I (temporarily) disconnected my '35 tub. The VL is such a good handling Harley, that it is kinda pity to hook up a sidecar.
              Fiskis

Comment

Thanks guys for the pointers I have the info written down for future referance this being my first real restoring project Ican asure you that you haven't herd the last of me.
                Thanks again

Comment

Working...
                X