Another Seat Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Another Seat Question

Actually the front mount. Can anybody identify it?

I have had this seat for decades; and just recently I took a look at it; and don't recognize the front mount.

I presume the seat is Harley buddy seat; but for what?

I have included a pic of the mount and another of the bottom of the seat.

The front mount seems to slide into a horizontal bolt. Definitely not used on a later Indian Chief; as the spacing is 1/4" to small to go over a Chief seat, frame mount.

The mount shown would not be used on a t-yoke either.

The pan looks like Harley, but I am not an expert.

Any ideas?

bjind
    Attached Files

To me the seat is Indian ,with the straight ribs,harley pan has the outer ribs curved.Mount I would guess is homemade

Comment

I agree with Tom. I think the seat is Indian and I have no idea what the mount is although to me it does not look homemade. Jerry

Originally posted by bjind View Post
      Actually the front mount. Can anybody identify it?

I have had this seat for decades; and just recently I took a look at it; and don't recognize the front mount.

I presume the seat is Harley buddy seat; but for what?

I have included a pic of the mount and another of the bottom of the seat.

The front mount seems to slide into a horizontal bolt. Definitely not used on a later Indian Chief; as the spacing is 1/4" to small to go over a Chief seat, frame mount.

The mount shown would not be used on a t-yoke either.

The pan looks like Harley, but I am not an expert.

Any ideas?

bjind
      Last edited by Jerry Wieland; 11-29-2019, 04:41 PM.

Comment

My Chumme has the straight outboard 'ribs', too, Bjind!

But only four hand rail lugs, not six.

Instead, it has a conventional bracket for the 'tee'.

....Cotten
        PS: Pics wjhen I can...
        AMCA #776
        Dumpster Diver's Motto: Seek,... and Ye Shall Find!

Comment

Yeah,re-purposed might be a better description of the mount than homemade.
          Tom

Comment

Great Answers! Thank You all that added info.

Yes, the original question was about the front seat, mount; the seat itself has interesting features too.

tfburke3 - Yeah,re-purposed might be a better description of the mount than homemade.

me - This may be the answer, as the mount "catch ears" certainly do look factory made, I may have seen this arrangement on a tractor seat, some time ago. The ears slide over the cross bolt; and the rear of the seat is bolted fast. The width of the catch-ears is 1/4" narrower than a Chief, frame seat mount, so it doesn't fit the late Chief application

T. Cotten - My Chumme has the straight outboard 'ribs', too, Bjind! but only four rail lugs

me - Yes, this is interesting. I think all my other seats on hand have the usual 4, and those 2 forward lugs/mount holes, are too far forward for the hand rails.

T. Cotten - Instead , it has a conventional bracket for the tee.

me - Yes, the seat, Z bracket, whatever name, was never on this seat. no marks at all to show witness. Maybe this seat never used the T- bracket. Did the 2 extra, forward mount holes/lugs somehow mount the rear of the seat??
            I do have the seat Z or whatever bracket, off another seat and it will fit perfectly.

But that front bracket shows this seat was "made to work" on something else. Other than a late Indian.

Thank for the interest in this. It is always fun to dig a little deeper some times.

bjind

Comment

I have several British seats with similar front mounts.
              Robbie Knight Amca #2736

Comment

Working...
              X