Sidecar Body identification

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sidecar Body identification

I have had this for about 14 years now bought it at a estate sale the former owner was a Indian dealer I was told.

One person had told me that it was a HD car body I was to understand that they were the same
    Attached Files

Another view as you can see there is no cut out for the frame to the sidecar axle
    Attached Files

Comment

One more view from the right rear of the body
      Attached Files

Comment

Re: Sidecar Body identification

Originally posted by Chuck#1848

One person had told me that it was a HD car body I was to understand that they were the same
        Not sure if you mean that the Indian and HD chair are the same.
        If this is what you meant, then nope, it's not an Indian chair. Princess bodies are far more finished, and not ? rivited like that.

Best wishes.

Ken.
        (Apologies if you wen't implying that it may be an Indian chair.)

Comment

Ken,

Sorry for the confusion I meant the previous owner as I was told was a Indian dealer.

The body I know is not Indian

It resembles a Harley body but with the riveting along with the lead seam work on the inside it makes me wonder if it is a early prototype body just don't know was hoping that somebody here would know.

Comment

G'day Chuck.
            No worries, I thought it must have been a paragraph issue.
            I'm no expert, but just couldn't imagine even HD making a chair with rivits so obvious.
            I have a home made chair on my 1922 Power Plus, which uses screws. I've seen plenty of photos of original HD chairs, and they all looked to have pressed bodies which would have had hidden hardware, or be welded / soldered.
            Like I said, I'm no authority though.

Best wishes mate.

Ken.

Comment

To me it looks like someone started to make a new body for a 1936-up Harley sidecar. The even rust looks like it made of bare sheet metal, that never has been painted. Maybe they did not want to weld it together, as the metal easily loses its shape.

Comment

Fiskis,

There is some black paint on it in spots looked like it may have been painted black at one time.
                Paint has flaked off of it since I have had it

Comment

Hi.
                  I have a 1930 LT sidecar, 75% restored, and yours does not look like any I have seen in my research for restoration. The LT body was spotwelded along the seams about every 1/2 inch, from the inside seams. I had to replace at least 1/3 of the floor on mine. Yours may not be harley at all. Hope this helps.
                  gimp

Comment

Working...
                  X