removing powder paint

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• removing powder paint

Not sure if this post is in the right category. I have a powder coated block. Anyone ever tried Benco B17? I have a bead blaster, but wondering if chemical immersion is superior to blasting? Any thoughts? Tom

I've used aircraft paint stripper and it will remove powder coat, but it will take a while, and multiple applications. I see that Benco B17 is a stripper and I think that would be worth a try. Personally, I stopped using glass beads on any engine, or trans related parts. I don't like the looks of a glass bead finish on aluminum, and of course there is the risk of not getting it all removed during the cleaning process.
    Eric Smith
    AMCA #886

Comment

If the powder coat was done right the the bead blaster will leave a nice patina on powder coat.

Comment

A decade or more ago, Folks,..

The local P4gas ate the finest powdercoating.

We will never know what the additive was.

But now we all hate powdercoating.

....Cotten
        AMCA #776
        Dumpster Diver's Motto: Seek,... and Ye Shall Find!

Comment

bead blasting should not move powder coat if it was applied right.
          Abrasive blasting will remove it slowly.
          Your best bet is some type of chemical stripper, and be prepared to do it a few times, now that all the good chemicals have been removed from purchase.

Comment

Most powders are polyester and hardware store stripper will do the job. I can't speak for epoxy.

Comment

There is quite a number of powder coating formulas these days. You never know what it is unless you put it there.

Comment

Got to beware of chemical use on aluminum.

Comment

Originally posted by exeric View Post
                  I've used aircraft paint stripper and it will remove powder coat, but it will take a while, and multiple applications. I see that Benco B17 is a stripper and I think that would be worth a try. Personally, I stopped using glass beads on any engine, or trans related parts. I don't like the looks of a glass bead finish on aluminum, and of course there is the risk of not getting it all removed during the cleaning process.
                  I agree Eric and that's what I use. Several applications but it does the job.
                  AMCA #765

Comment

Working...
                  X