Flanders handlebars

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Flanders handlebars

I keep seeing older and new bars identified as Flanders bars. Often used ones on eBay as well. I know I can’t generally identify the manufacturer of one piece of pipe from another unless it’s stamped somewhere. I do know original Flanders bars are sometimes credited with having the bend arrangement that is now a modern day standard.

How do people identify Flanders bars?

Thanks,
    Craig

(Ps, I did search but found more posts on Flanders bikes than anything)

The throttle cable and ignition advance/retard cable (internal) will exit the bars just after the first bend starts to rise and will have a nice little flair at the opening. Flanders did make later bars for external controls but I don't think that's what your talking about. There is a gentleman in the upper Midwest that makes excellent copies of the early Flanders and Stelling bars. I hope this helps.
    DrSprocket

Comment

Keep in mind that Flanders still makes bars, so the name Flanders appears on bars from the '40s to date, so even brand new bars are Flanders branded. Vintage Flanders bars made to use their own or others risers were made in a variety of shapes, widths, and control treatments. Some were made to use the stock controls for either H-D or Indian. Some use the spark control and had a plain side for an "English" style throttle (external cable), some have no controls at all. As stated, all Flanders bars have the cable exit near the lower bend. They are generally stamped with a number underneath on the center flat portion, usually a number between 1 and 12 designating the "bend". Hellings and Stellings also made bars and risers, their risers were clamp on angled type without rubber mounts. They are similar bars to Flanders but tended to be more sweeping designs with narrower mid sections. Tom Faber reproduces both kinds as well as stock H-D bars. Wide Flanders pictured.
      Attached Files
      Last edited by Rubone; 05-15-2019, 08:39 AM.
      Robbie Knight Amca #2736

Comment

Thanks guys, I feel that I have really learned something today!

Craig

Comment

Here is a pic of Hellings style risers with a pair of more modern Flanders in them.
          Attached Files
          Robbie Knight Amca #2736

Comment

Although Flanders is still in business they no longer make H-D & Indian bars with internal controls. These bars are now made by Tom Faber. http://www.fabercycle.com/
            Be sure to visit;
            http://www.vintageamericanmotorcycles.com/main.php
            Be sure to register at the site so you can see large images.
            Also be sure to visit http://www.caimag.com/forum/

Comment

Robbie, or anyone else; do you like the Flanders bars, and riser set-up. How does it compare to stock, or is just a nice period custom feature?
              Eric Smith
              AMCA #886

Comment

Eric, The difference is that with the Flanders setup you can adjust the fit of the bars to your arm length, height, etc. With stock bars you just have the same low position.
                DrSprocket

Comment

Thanks, Rich. That makes a lot of sense. I have a Flanders set that I've considered putting on my '48FL but it needs to be re-chromed which is a pricey deal these days. . . . And I am a bit tight fisted
                  Eric Smith
                  AMCA #886

Comment

Eric; If you have your Flanders triple clamp re-chromed, make sure that you tell your chrome shop not to polish the ears that the dog bones clamp to. This happened to me some years ago and I couldn't tighten the clamp enough to hold it in one place. I had to go back to the chrome shop and have them build up some more chrome to make it work again. I have used a Flanders set up on my ULH for over 45 years. And as Rich says, they are adjustable and to me more comfortable than the stock set up. When I have taken a test ride on a repaired Knuckle or Side Valve, the stock bars are at my knees. Also, I have attached a pic of the Flanders vs. Harley triple clamps. Some people confuse the two. The Flanders is on top. I hope this helps.
                    CraigCIMG1227.JPGCIMG1228.JPGCIMG1230.JPG

Comment

Very good information, Craig. I'll have to let go of a few Kopeks and get that stuff chromed, and take your advice about the triple clamp.
                      Eric Smith
                      AMCA #886

Comment

Flanders clamps were not chromed originally, they are cad plated. And the riser stub is a different size than H-D Rubber mount conversions. Flanders are 1" H-D is smaller, about 15/16, just enough so that parts do not interchange. Flanders made risers in a variety of styes, both rubber mount and solid. The rubber mount came in 2", 3-1/2", 4" and 5". With all the different bar shapes and widths there are dozens of combinations. All the factory drilled Flanders bars have the switch holes on the right and not left side like H-D.
                        Robbie Knight Amca #2736

Comment

Robbie; You are correct about the triple clamp finish and the ear sizes. I put the different clamps up to compare, because I see a few people on Ebay calling H-D clamps Flanders. In the chopper days we chromed everything. Now I'm going to the chrome shop to have the plating stripped.
                          Craig

Comment

I have had flanders on my 36 rider for years and love them

Comment

I know this post is old old old, but I see alot of repop Flanders clamps as zinc plated. Are you positive they weren't zinc plated instead of cad? I'm trying to get an inline clamp, but would like to be period correct.

Comment

Working...
                              X