Peek vs. Viton tip fuel shut off rods

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Peek vs. Viton tip fuel shut off rods

I see that Ted sells a Viton tip fuel shut off rod (part # 38-0472 ). Would this have the same properties as the Peek tip rods that Carl sells? I am a V-Twin dealer, so I can get the their rod for dealer cost. I also noticed that Ted sells a replacement Viton tip for the rod ( part # 35-0291 ) which leads me to believe that the tip may be ruined or damaged easily. Also I remember Linkert needles with a Viton tip from the 1980's that after some use would tend to stick closed. Any ideas ??
    Craig

Originally posted by 41craig View Post
    I see that Ted sells a Viton tip fuel shut off rod (part # 38-0472 ). Would this have the same properties as the Peek tip rods that Carl sells? I am a V-Twin dealer, so I can get the their rod for dealer cost. I also noticed that Ted sells a replacement Viton tip for the rod ( part # 35-0291 ) which leads me to believe that the tip may be ruined or damaged easily. Also I remember Linkert needles with a Viton tip from the 1980's that after some use would tend to stick closed. Any ideas ??
    Craig
    Gosh, Craig,...

Anything from Tedd is suspect, even if the PEEK is the same.
    (The 'viton' could be anything.)

Carl offers a quality complete assembly, but I wonder why he didn't produce steel tips like the original.
    Don't get me wrong, I had to try PEEK years ago because of all of my scrap.
    But I soon found it more logical to just set my toolpost to 45°, and shave another lifetime into originals.

....Cotten
    Last edited by T. Cotten; 05-13-2019, 01:59 PM.
    AMCA #776
    Dumpster Diver's Motto: Seek,... and Ye Shall Find!

Comment

Thanks Cotten; The first thing that I noticed about Ted's Viton is that it is white and I think that I read that Dupont's Viton is red. I have some good rods. I'll pick out a good one to replace the aftermarket replacement that came on the bike. I just have seen a lot of these old shut offs weep around the bottom fitting.
      Craig

Comment

There's a black viton, I think, Craig,..

But the common floatvalve needles aren't (attached).

If you have access to lathe services, it only takes five minutes to clean up a tip.
        Dress your worst, and save your best...

Weeping around the fitting IS a job for PEEK!
        (Been cutting seals for many years.)

....Cotten
        Attached Files
        AMCA #776

Comment

Cotten; I do have an old ( but good ) Craftsman 12" lathe. If you are talking about using Peek seals instead of the brass washers on the bottom of the shut off rod. I would be interested in a couple of sets if you have any sitting around. I would be glad to talk to you in P M about payment.
          Craig

Comment

Please email me direct at liberty@npoint.net, Craig!

Beware they ain't cheap...

And I conjured a viton seal for the top of the rod, too!

But its black.

....Cotten
            Last edited by T. Cotten; 05-14-2019, 07:20 AM.
            AMCA #776

Comment

I bought the one from Carl's, my original was leaking. The Carl's unit does not leak, probably three years now. And he is a good guy, maybe no reason to re-invent the wheel, just sayin', good luck.

Comment

You do have to watch closing the peek with even normal force,they can stick closed after the day cools down.

Comment

Originally posted by duffeycycles View Post
                  You do have to watch closing the peek with even normal force, they can stick closed after the day cools down.
                  Interesting, Duffey!

If the dimensional changes are that much, then it helps explain the wear upon real tips.

I thought they were monel, but they machine easier, and are too magnetic.

De-Gaussing just moves the poles to the middle of the rod.
                  But I do it anyway.

....Cotten
                  AMCA #776

Comment

Working...
                  X